War and Peace in a Day

It can be done! I got up this morning at 4.00 AM. Not because i had to, but because my daughter was sleep walking and crashing around in the kitchen. Went back to bed and got up again at 5.00 for the same reason as previously. Went back to bed until my alalrm went off at the usual time 6.10.

After a mad drive down the M40 and M25 and some other roads, i got there at 9.30 to find the car park almost full. Did all the stalls by lunch time and then ran around the Americas field and then the other one. Ran into Mark and had a brief chat.

Took lots of photos but thought that the following ones would be of most interest:

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4496.jpg[/img]

(both together at last ahhh!)

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4499.jpg[/img]

(the things some people put on their half tracks to make them look harder)

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4501.jpg[/img]

(this belongs to Rax Cadman - i did not know that he had one)

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4514.jpg[/img]

(what date is this Bussing from? War time or later?)

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4531.jpg[/img]

(loveley Morris)

Had seen everything by 3.30 which is when the heavens opened. Grabbed my purchases and ran back to the car, getting home in time to see the kids school play, eat my dinner and put them to bed.

Best purchase of the day - a strap for a US Army Signal Corps tool bag. I said to the seller "Parlez Anglais" he replied "a little". So i explained that i had bought one of these bags and it did not have the strap, so could i buy one. He gave me one for free off of another bag which i thought very decent of him. As i walked away i realised that maybe he thought that i had bought the bag from him and not off E Bay. Whoops!

Tim (too)

It was a good day, although my legs are beginning to feel it a bit now. Here are a few more photos of the weird and wonderful:

DSCN4527.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

DSCN4521.jpg

DSCN4523.jpg

DSCN4512.jpg

DSCN4511.jpg

DSCN4517.jpg

DSCN4509.jpg

DSCN4507.jpg

DSCN4506.jpg

DSCN4502.jpg

DSCN4497.jpg

Right. Off to bed now so you will have to identify them all yourself. I have to be up tomorrow at 6 again (and maybe 4 and 5 as well)

Tim

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links repaired

Just heard from a friend who is camping down there. Lots of rain this morning but seems to have dried out a bit now. There is a bit of mud around and the river and ditches are running quite high. Should be alright for tomorrow unless there is a massive storm there this evening.

I have recovered from my day trip. However we have had the worst rain here today that i have ever seen and on a short journey the road was constantly flooded and i saw several abandoned cars. One had obviously misjudged the depth of a puddle and the water was up to the base of the windscreen. Actually i am glad that that car had got there first as i would have made the same mistake i am sure.

On the drive home my VW was only firing on three cylinders but with a bit of luck it will dry out by tomorrow.

Tim (too)

I can say that the roads around the camp sites are atrocious, just come home in my little van for a quick shower and I got stuck 3 times, the mud is as deep as the wheel hubs in some places. :-D

I did W&P in 1 day on thursday and found the stalls to be a little down on quqlity and up on car boot/market type stalls but then again I got several things I had been after for a while so they cant have been too bad.

The trouble is now thursday seems a while ago and I want to go again

I made my attempt today . Arrived in car park 8.30ish at which point the heavens opened . When it stopped I went & joined the queue to pay around 10 to 9 & the heavens opened again so I was a little damp by the time I got in !

Made my way round the stalls & on to the show proper trying to dodge the downpours but as Mark has already said the roads were 3" deep in liquid mud, the only green bits being the bits you couldn't walk on, the really busy bits were 6-9" of liquid goo . I managed to get round most but by no means all of it but & having reached the stage where my boots were filling with the water running out of my camo's & both phone & camera had rain in them I decided to give it best - Went to Johnsons & bought trousers & tee shirt to change into to drive home & made my soggy way back .

Still a great show & I did have a quick chat with the boys from Essex Armour & Softskins and one or two other forumists on my travels . Didn't manage to find the Russian Trucks stand but that might be just as well ! Drying out with a curry & a glass of wine now . :whistle:

well i tried to look round sat got there early met up with neil and a couple of others then the heavens opened and my daughter got drenched :whistle: had a look round a few stalls and got some bits

rained again so it was running off her so ended up cutting the day short

got back to eastbourne pure sun :?

hopefully next year will camp on own so dont have to worry about wet kids

for those members i didnt meet sorry :cry: but i did go to the roadsure stand and the man said if a problem had to happen to anyone. a member on here is not a good idea :evil: :evil: :evil:

ringmer this weekend so anyone in sussex come say hello :police: