Saladin 04CC45 Powerpack

cooler07

Something on our hull numbers was interesting.

Saladin 01CC48 is hull 245 and turret 248

Saladin 06BB81 is hull 248 and turret 251

so we have 1 Saladin's that has same # hull as other has it's turret. LOL

cheers

That's my theory blown out the window, because hull 248 being a BB registration has a later serial number than 245 with a CC !

Look on the numbers as one 4 digit set, so BB is 0681 and CC is 0148. All I can think here is that on base overhauls the hulls were switched, in other words so long as a vehicle came off the line with a number that came in, then that number would go back into service. I do know that some WW2 armoured cars with separate hulls did get switched between chassis' on base overhaul.

Richard

Hi Richard;

Yeah we have been thinking that is was the placement on the assembly line, but you never know!!!!

Also 04CC45 has hull# 305 and turret# 307.

Interesting!

Quick question Richard, I'm replacing the bands on 45, and would like to ask when you had to do bands, what procedure did you use to run them in? I've read the EMER on the electric motor stand and also Jim in the UK said he ran them in with vehicle.

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

James

Hi Richard;

Yeah we have been thinking that is was the placement on the assembly line, but you never know!!!!

Also 04CC45 has hull# 305 and turret# 307.

Interesting!

Quick question Richard, I'm replacing the bands on 45, and would like to ask when you had to do bands, what procedure did you use to run them in? I've read the EMER on the electric motor stand and also Jim in the UK said he ran them in with vehicle.

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

James

Hi James,

I think the only way to check if hull numbers run concurrent with army reg numbers is to gather as much numbers from other owners and see how they compare. Turrets could easily have been misplaced on base overhauls too.

Re. band replacement, as you noted the procedure in factory and base overhauled units was for them to have been run in and readjusted until they stabilised. When we fitted replacement pre-selector gearboxes to vehicles in workshop, they were generally OK and not needing any adjustment. What you will have to be prepared for is doing short runs and readjusting those gears with new bands, as they have to bed into the grooves on the drum. It would be easy to do this before refitting the turret, as it is a chore to access the gearbox once the turret is on.

best of luck and Happy New Year to you

regards, Richard

That's my theory blown out the window, because hull 248 being a BB registration has a later serial number than 245 with a CC !

Look on the numbers as one 4 digit set, so BB is 0681 and CC is 0148. All I can think here is that on base overhauls the hulls were switched, in other words so long as a vehicle came off the line with a number that came in, then that number would go back into service. I do know that some WW2 armoured cars with separate hulls did get switched between chassis' on base overhaul.

Richard

In railway workshops it was common practice to strip everything off a loco, carry out an overhaul then rebuild the Loco.

As long as the parts were the same, then to save delaying the reassembly, any suitable overhauled part would be refitted to the loco.

In one particular case I was tasked with recording all the loco numbers that had been stamped into the wheels of an LMS 3F 0-6-0T loco that we were restoring. I found 45 different numbers in the 3 wheelsets.

I would think it quite likely that something similar would happen in an MOD Workshop.