Greek Jeeps

jenkinov

I purchased my jeep about 13 years ago a 1942 Willis but soon identified it was a Greek Jeep .or one of a large batch purchased from the Greek army in the mid 80s and imported into the uk .I believe I am the 3rd owner since import and I know the previous owner had it for 6 years ..<br><br>The Jeep had been mounted with a heavy weapon . A 50 cal or recoilles gun. The rear had been cut out to give access and the shocks moved to a 45 degree angle to absorb recoil . The c links had all been strengthened on the suspension by the addition of added brackets to create a d plate .. the floor of the jeep retains aluminium runners ...possibly to assist in Sliding or mounting a weapon.<br><br>The rear panel in the jeep has been reinstated but the other modifications remain ..<br><br>The question to the forum is whether anyone else has a jeep with similar mods and does anyone have a photo of the Greek army heavy weapons jeeps in use..<br><br>Regards<br><br>Jenkinov<br><br><br>

Hey Jenkinov,

My 45 GPW is an ex Greek one with much the same mods (except the runners). The rear panel is basically a sheet of metal that someone has fitted so I will be replacing that with a correct panel at some point but other than that I plan on keeping it as I found it, for now anyway. Here's a webpage with some jeeps with heavy weapons and a nice pic of an ex Greek army jeep before restoration. http://www.m201.com/versions/106SR.htm I know it's an M201 page but the ex greek pic was originally on another site showing the restoration back to original and if I remember correctly it was ww2. I'm sure there's a few more knocking around out there.

<edited for typo>

Thanks Melchy a great link the photo of the unrestored jeep shows many of the features of mine ..most notably the fittings for the rear seat were left but the square covers for the top of the shock absorbers have been removed and flat steel riveted into position ...on the restored version you can see the rails which were just guides for the wheels...

I will look for weld marks on the floor where the ammo tubes were fitted ..

Thanks

Jenkinov