EDEN CAMP

russell sprout

I recently went for a day out at Eden camp, Malton, Yorkshire and was shocked to see so many interesting WW2 vehicles stood out in the open and obviously suffering from years of neglect and weathering. To name but a few, there is a Churchill crocodile tank, American and German half tracks, DUKW, Leyland retriever, Bren carrier etc etc. Does anyone have any connection with the museum???? If i lived closer i would volunteer personally to look after them but with plenty of museum buildings containing nothing but written accounts of various topics it seems crackers that they are destroying such fine artefacts and preserving crap under cover. :oops:

I have spoken to the camp owners in the past and I know they have an interesting collection of vehicles but the really important part of the collection is the buildings which,if the original plan for the site had gone ahead,would have been demolished.

Perhaps the vehicles are somthing they will get to in due course.I would hate to think of the costs involoved in restoring the buildings so maybe they are working on the more important things first?

Matt.