Multiple Driver Insuance

N.O.S.

Question

My fleet of misfits is covered for "Any Driver" through Roadsure - the additional cost is really good value, and allows those without their own wheels to share the fun.

Because one vehicle is used regularly by a friend for airfield visits, we tried to get him a separate policy. Roadsure said "No", his insurers (NFU) said "No". So at his point I gave up.

Has anyone found a way around this :banghead:?

11 answers to this question

My fleet of misfits is covered for "Any Driver" through Roadsure - the additional cost is really good value, and allows those without their own wheels to share the fun.

Because one vehicle is used regularly by a friend for airfield visits, we tried to get him a separate policy. Roadsure said "No", his insurers (NFU) said "No". So at his point I gave up.

Has anyone found a way around this :banghead:?

Now isn't life strange, :whistle:

Just been reading about vehicle insurance on another forum :dunno: and footman james seems to be worth contacting, re multiple vehicle/driver policies.

not had any dealings with them personaly, but maybe worth a phone call.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, will phone them.

You've got a good point, Tony B, 'cos it raises the question :

If my friend's policy covers him for any vehicle, how will the 2 insurance companies agree over who will cover an incident?........

This all arose because he borrowed the jeep to take son and daughter-in-law of a US pilot around airfield, he told me they were both Attorneys in the dad's business of ""No win no fee" claim firm, and I thought "I think I'll just go to the toilet for a moment". :shake:

thanks guys

God knows Andy :shake: I've a claim in against another driver. My insurance want it to be 50/50 I said basically 'No' so the next bit was 'Well if you don't claim aganist them, they won't claim against you, and we will give you all your no claims bonus back' not Roadsure I hasten to add. But honestly, you couldn't make it up :schocked:

Another question along the same lines then: My Land Rover (everyday car) insurance with Endsleigh covers me for 'driving other vehicles'. I appreciate this is 3rd party only but are there restrictions as to types of vehicle is covered? For instance could I drive someone else's truck on the basis of that policy?

This is a dodgey (or jeepy) area too.

One policy I came across, the small print restricted the 'other vehicles' bit to merely 'moving them out of the way if they were causing an obstruction', though I suppose this might have meant that you did not need the owner's permission...?.../

Guess we need to understand the smallprint!

I think you need to talk to your insurance company ref the cover to drive any other vehicle I help out at a recovery firm and the amount of cars we fetch in for the police of people driving other cars because their policy says they can any other vehicle is quite numerous the only time they can legally is when the 3rd party vehicle is also insured when it is not the local police our way confiscate the car for no insurance

Commander

Just for the record I've got Multiple driver insurance on all my vehicles,10 named drivers on 2 x GMC's and a Jeep Unlimited mileage for £130 the lot . I was told that all three vehicles could be involved in a pileup as long as there was a named driver at the wheel I was covered.Their insurance is a standard upto 10 named driver policy I was lead to believe.

Footman James is the Insurer and they are spot on for service

Hope this helps

regards

Steve

I think I may be changing my insurer/broker next year.

Although happy with their service for the last 4 years, I've noticed the"rip off" factor introducing itself this year.

1) Last month I added another driver to my policy to cover the H&C Pageant. Oh that will be £20 admin charge Sir!

2) Today I added another vehicle. Oh thats another £55 - Oh and £20 admin charge Sir !

So to sum up in the last 6 weeks I've been charged £95 which is not far off my renewal for the year paid in May !!!!

And if you are thinking its some obscure outfit - its not. I won't name them to save them embarrassment or more to the point in case my admin fee suddenly takes a hike the next time I call.

Like all insurance its prudent to take a roll call every so often. Familiarity does breed contempt.

I spoke to Footman James this morning and got a very simple answer -

IT IS ILLEGAL TO INSURE THE SAME VEHICLE TWICE

So, there is no way to cover Driver A (the owner) when in charge of vehicle, and also for any loss (e.g. theft), and at the same time give driver B a policy which only covers him/her and accident damage etc when in charge of vehicle.

Despite the fact that this is not providing multiple cover, an insurer wold still be breaking the law by issuing such policies.

Thanks anyway folks