cost to convert from points to electronic ignition ?

Norbo

Question

In my search for the right tank i have learned a lot . one of the things is that the old CVRT's ran on pints and most people converted them to an Electronic ignition system as its more reliable and the old one can brake down a lot and leave you stranded . not surprising when you conciser how old they are . So my question is at tile what would be the cost to do this conversion.

7 answers to this question

You will find that almost all of the vehicles in private hands are fitted with electronic ignition as they were upgraded by the MoD. You can get hold of an electronic distributor for less than £100 if needed.

You will find that almost all of the vehicles in private hands are fitted with electronic ignition as they were upgraded by the MoD. You can get hold of an electronic distributor for less than £100 if needed.

All the J60 engines in wheeled and tracked vehicles were modified to electronic ignition by the MoD about 35 years ago. I know this as was involved in doing some.

No doubt there may be an odd exception, but not come across one, barring one from Belgian army.

I have a J60 distributor with the Lumenition conversion but no sign of a sticker - it must not have been very sticky !

In the photo in post 4 you can see that there is a fuse holder in the coil (facing the top of the photo). This is part of the circuit of the speed limiter that replaced the centrifugal one in the rotor arm of the points system. If the fuse holder is present you have the electronic ignition system.

David

I have a J60 distributor with the Lumenition conversion but no sign of a sticker - it must not have been very sticky !

In the photo in post 4 you can see that there is a fuse holder in the coil (facing the top of the photo). This is part of the circuit of the speed limiter that replaced the centrifugal one in the rotor arm of the points system. If the fuse holder is present you have the electronic ignition system.

David

hi David,

The speed limiter was only fitted to CVR(T) engines, the Fox did not have it, hence their turn of speed! The warning sticker was due to the presence of Beryllium in the electronic unit.

regards, Richard

I converted my Hudson to electronic ignition and it's wonderful ......lots better starting and very smooth running and the kit was superb and so easy to fit too...

I fitted it in less than half an hour including very slight adjusting to get her running spot on .....I found the advert in an American car magazine and they claimed to be able to supply for any car ....so .... rang the guy thinking " lets see if he can supply one for a 1946 Hudson" and the chap was fantastic ...he asked if he could check his stock and rang back in less than 20 minutes to say yes he could do one for my car....he even wrote me out a personalised installation for my car as it is 6 volt positive earth and he also recommended a different coil which I ordered ...the whole lot came within a couple of days and I was even moved to ring him after fitting it to say how happy I was with how ridiculously easy and straightforward it was....

http://www.pertronix.com