Vehicle Overturned

Topdog

Today on the M20, Londonbound there was a Champ or jeep towing a trailer and they were both on their side overturned and across 2 lanes of the motorway just prior to junction 8 at Maidstone. Obviously someone on their way home from W&P.

I hope whoever it was that everyone is ok.

Looks like GAZ towing something wide track clone like.

Frankly Bob, Mr Lie Detector's comment is rude in the part about museums but we all in this hobby no matter which side of the pond or above or below the Equator need to be smart about what we do, travelling in very slow vehicles that do not make the same speed as the rest of traffic is dangerous and quite foolhardy, regardless of how legal it may be.

We seem to see this every year and the same comments go around each time. No point me saying much more on that.

As I do not know one thing about this incident it is not fair for me to say anything about how it ended up on it's side and I know nothing about the speeds.

Hope everyone made it out OK and the insurance covers it.

It was a UAZ 469 - but not mine (mine blew up its handbrake on the way down). The driver is also a member of the Red Alliance though and a friend. Apparently they were heading home at about 40 to 45 mph when the UAZ lost (literally) a rear wheel, driver attempted to compensate and get over onto the hard shoulder but the Sankey he was towing had other ideas. Driver is OK - minor injuries in the form of cuts and bruises.

I can't from the pic. tell if the Sankey is narrowtrack with rotating eye or widetrack with fixed eye , however I wonder if the owner failed to conform with the golden rule of Sankey(s) - somethingie of the draught must rotate , otherwise this is the result.

The wheelarches seem to be fitted with spats as if wider than std. tyres fitted.

Narrowtrack - you set the pintle to non-rotate , widetrack you set the pintle to rotate. Easy with a Rover with DB NATO pintle , however this Russian job may have had a fixed hook and the trailer was a bog-std. widetrack - bad news..

I can't from the pic. tell if the Sankey is narrowtrack with rotating eye or widetrack with fixed eye , however I wonder if the owner failed to conform with the golden rule of Sankey(s) - somethingie of the draught must rotate , otherwise this is the result.

The wheelarches seem to be fitted with spats as if wider than std. tyres fitted.

Narrowtrack - you set the pintle to non-rotate , widetrack you set the pintle to rotate. Easy with a Rover with DB NATO pintle , however this Russian job may have had a fixed hook and the trailer was a bog-std. widetrack - bad news..

Hitch on the UAZ had been adapted to a standard NATO one. Soviet towing eyes and thus the hitches are smaller than NATO ones so its not advisable to hook a NATO trailer to the back of a Soviet light vehicle. Trailer was a wide-track and the driver was ex-RE and more than familiar with the vagaries of hitching up Sankeys.

thats interesting information...anyone know why its like that.....

Edited by paulob1

In the early days of trailers it was inherently easier to make the lunette on the trailer rotate, since it is on a sliding shaft anyway. Early Sankey trailers therefore followed convention.

The problem with this arrangement when applied to trailers with military-style lunettes is that when the trailer and towing vehicle are at a significant angle to each other - approaching a jack-knife angle - the lunette rotates and assumes a vertical orientation on the pintle. This can be prevented if there is a lug on the pintle, but such a lug is unsatisfactory since it greatly restricts articulation in normal driving. NATO lunettes therefore have nothing to limit this movement.

Once the lunette has rotated thus, when the vehicle pulls forward and the trailer straightens up there is no restoring force to return the lunette to an horizontal orientation and consequently something is going to bend: either the shaft of the lunette (common in the case of early Landrovers with strong rear crossmembers) or the rear crossmember (common in the case of more recent landrovers which have rear crossmembers manufactured from processed cheese - on these it is essential that the additional reinforcing plate is fitted between the crossmember and the pintle).

The above is a very common occurrence when a trailer has been reversed, attained a sharp angle, and then driven forwards again.

Later trailers have a lunette which cannot rotate on the shaft axis, so that the lunette cannot drop on the pintle as described above. Since some degree of relative rotational movement is needed in normal driving, especially off-road, with these the pintle must rotate instead.

The two golden rules are (1) that either the lunette or the pintle but not both must rotate, and (2) if towing with a rotating lunette and if you have got into a situation where the trailer is at a sharp angle to the towing vehicle, stop and check that the lunette has not rotated before straightening out.