Paint Stripping

Mark

Hi All

Any of you clever bods out there ever used Nitromoors to strip paint off their MV, if so is it any good, and where can I purchase some from, I need to get the paint of my jeep body, chassis and engine.

All ideas appreciated.

MArk

Yes I have used Nitromors, vast amounts of the stuff!. Ten years ago I used some to strip 7 layers of paint off a vehicle, I had only done less than half of it & I had spent £50. I now use a multitufted wire cup in an angle grinder. But goggles, gloves & thick gloves are needed as the broken wires when they are shed come off at quite a velocity.

Although with the Nitromors you need goggles & gloves. You can soon feel the splatter of droplets burning into the skin! It was strange to use, some paint would bubble off, a bit of agitation with a scraper helps then you would have bits that seem impenentrable. Nitomors needs to be washed off with water, but 20 years ago there wasn't a water version it had to be dispersed with white spirit, so that was even more mesyy & expensive.

I would do what you can with the grinder & use the Nitromors for awkward little crevices.

I don't know how this would work on thin metal, but on armour I use a Bosch chisel thing, with the wide attachment you can uplift thick paint quite well. There are no running costs, the attachments are pretty durable.

Hi All

Any of you clever bods out there ever used Nitromoors to strip paint off their MV, if so is it any good, and where can I purchase some from, I need to get the paint of my jeep body, chassis and engine.

Mark,

It can be bought from DIY stores. I would advise you to experiment with it on a part of your vehicle first, because I find with very old and hard paint it takes for ever, lifting a coat at a time. With the number of coats that a MV usually has, this will be tedious! Also, it has to be washed off thoroughly, to neutralise it, any stripper lurking under body seams, etc. will come back to haunt you when repainting. For heavy metal parts, a needle gun chips the paint of well, rotary wire wheel on a hand grinder, and a hot air stripper is also good for sheet metal. Then off course any components that can be sand blasted with out causing internal damage, ie don,t consider doing it to an engine or transmission, etc.

Richard

Hi Mark,

As the other guys say it does take a long time with stripper as you are taking away one layer at a time but that is exactly why I use it! with a MV that has several layers of paint there will probably be markings which have been preserved by later layers,if you just sandblast or grind you loose that history.I'd rather take my time and record the markings as I go.

Matt.

with a MV that has several layers of paint there will probably be markings which have been preserved by later layers,if you just sandblast or grind you loose that history.

Matt,

Good point ! I forgot about that, obviuosly markings are in usual places like bonnet, doors, front or rear, etc. so extra care can be taken at those known areas.

Richard

we stripped our landrovers with a household hot air paint stripper & a scraper. very effective but don't leave the heat on 1 place for to long. much quicker than paint stripper on large areas. we then just sanded with wet & dry.

regardless of which method you use it is better to take your time & do a good job, as said above cutting corners will come back to haunt you.

ta

berni

Cor someone else who started young finaly, same age as when i got mine,

I'd say thats a good joint record to hold, can anyone else beat it though,

mind Im only 20 so i still pay quite a bit for insurance mind thats only for another 6 mounths and I'll get it for around £85, thank god for Roadsure.

I'm sure someone has already beaten it, we just don't know about them yet...!

Question for Clive... the photo of the red Pig, is that a roof rack on top? Looks exactly like the one on the Pig we had. We weren't sure if it was put there by a previous owner or a genuine mod. I almost ground it off, but decided to leave it on!

Chris

yes clive made it to do the big shopping runs, i told him was not a good idea, but the shopping bags fitted so well up there... hehe

what that is for is a canvas cover, originally used to keep the heat from the rear cab, it is slung over and held with the rows of loops welded on the sides.

this was not used in the northern ireland role , as was a fire hazard

hope that helps:)