How many types of NATO hitch ?

Tony B

Question

11 answers to this question

Very stupid, but, how many types of NATO hitch are there, what are the ratings on them, and how do you tell them apart?

Do you mean NATO hitches as fitted to British equipment - or across the board of all NATO countries??

If just British then Clive's answer is spot on (as usual :) ) - 3 types differed by load rating. If across the board that is a whole big can of worms as each country had different types. The hitch on the front of my Landie is a US one - looks like a D-B one, as on the rear, but has no swivel capability. US forces had two types for each load rating - fixed or swivel as I understand it. And of course - all the other NATO countries would have their own standards which would look passingly like a D-B, function defining form after all, but in reality totally different.

I've got two diffrent ones, one the 'standard' Landy type and another one I just aquired which has a dffrent bottom pin and I think is the heavy type. So hopefully I'll be able to sort it now. Thanks to the Master Of the Specifications, as usual. Thanks Clive.:D

Another question to the Oracle: Is there a type/serial number, and where would it be?

Having looked at the info, it is a reminder about attaching a hitch CORRECTLY. Having seen the damage when a hitch comes adrift under load, scarry!

Edited by Tony B

Tony earlier versions the FV drawing number was cast here:

NATO Hook 6a.jpg

I don't think the latest incarnations with the new FV drawing number have this.

You will note that the last digit in that picture differs from the FV no in the Def Stan. This may be because it is simply the identification of the jaw itself that forms part of the complete assemble. Or it is indeed a different drawing, which I will explain in a minute. First the Def Stan details.

2540-99-895-5169 FV192721 FVRDE Spec not given 12190 kg

2540-99-943-9271 FV332151 FVRDE Spec No 1138 4080 kg

2540-99-943-9272 FV337701 FVRDE Spec No 1273 7620 kg

There was a problem with the medium & lighter assemblies not always locking properly. This was identified in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES A 029 Misc Instruction No. 6 Oct.1963 that required some filing & welding to give a more secure latch of the jaw.

Presumably subsequent jaws were manufactured to this improved spec & perhaps the drawing was redrawn to give a changed FV no.

I have just checked on the Def Stan website & I see 25-6/3 was the latest issue but was withdrawn on 31/8/2000. There is no replacement Def Stan for these assemblies listed as current, obsolescent or deleted. I can only assume the later versions had a Spec for FVRDE, MVEE or DGFVE.

Incidentally I note that Def Stan 00-000 Standards for Defence Standards was withdrawn on 18/2/16. I don't quite understand how Def Stans are now constructed without the mother of all standards.

Old Topic I know, but if anyone happens to have saved copies of the docs mentioned here, I'd be most appreciative of a copy myself:

FV987957 iss 05.pdf
FV987957FI iss 01.pdf
FV987958 iss 05.pdf
FV987958FI iss 01.pdf
Hakenkupplung NATO hitch.pdf

Cheers, Alec.

Funnily enough I was just looking at this thread as well as I was trying to recall whether there was a specific name or FV number for the older style hook and latch type trailer hitch that came before the NATO hitch. The ones I have are marked FV245820 but I suspect that's only the number for the hook casting / forging itself.

Just checked the NSNs for the hook on the Hernia bar on the Eka in case it helps LV7SL 2540998288874 for the hook. Another 21 NSNs for the remainder if you need them..