Oshkosh M1070 x 55

radiomike7

One has done a nominal 6,500 miles in service. Now what did they cost the taxpayer ? I would suggest that a bit more than what they will be sold for. Do you think that is good value for our money...........

Mileages are from 500 upwards apparently and some will have been through a mid life full overhaul regardless. They will be US stock not UK as they have the 500bhp Detroit 2 stroke engines.

I believe the ones used by the British Army are under a leasing scheme.

Correct, FTX Logistics (Fasttrax) have a 20 year contract worth £290m to supply and operate the HETs. They have circa 90 1070F tractors and King trailers operating from a base at Bulford Barracks.

Watching a Discovery docu about Ozzie roadtrains in the outback I thought this vehicle would be way more suitable.

So why don'ty they use them?

Too expensive, difficult to maintain or what?

More like too unreliable and very basic inside (similar to a 1960s British truck). I keep seeing them broken down at the roadside, l for one wouldn't like to take one across the outback!

There is a Dutch dealer on Milweb also selling the same Oskosh tractor units for €45,000 which is quite a bit cheaper than Withams £65,000!

Edited by johnwardle
Extra paragraph added

Watching a Discovery docu about Ozzie roadtrains in the outback I thought this vehicle would be way more suitable.

So why don't they use them?

Too expensive, difficult to maintain or what?

Have you ever owned a V8 2 stroke Detroit, they sound amazing but drink fuel like there was no tomorrow?

Witham are now offering a choice of suitable trailers:

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/home/78383/All_Terrain_Heavy_Duty_Oshkosh.htm

Have you ever owned a V8 2 stroke Detroit, they sound amazing but drink fuel like there was no tomorrow?

Witham are now offering a choice of suitable trailers:

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/home/78383/All_Terrain_Heavy_Duty_Oshkosh.htm

I remember a Bedford TM with a Detroit V8 that was aptly named 'Somerset Screamer' run by Rode Haulage (from Rode in Wiltshire) in the early 90s, you could hear it literally miles away, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it got pulled by the police because of the noise it made.