Yarnton, Oxfordshire - Military tyres, or maybe not anymore?

Ed Batchelor

Question

Speaking to a chap the other day he mentioned there was a place at or near Yarnton in Oxfordshire that used to deal in large quantities of tyres including a lot of military tyres in all sizes.

I did a google search but nothing came up, the chap couldn't recollect when he last went there (we could be talking 20+ yrs knowing my luck).

Does anyone from that area know what this place is or was and if it still exists?

Thanks

Ed

8 answers to this question

I live about 2 miles from the garage and call in to see the new owner Alan on a regular basis since Doug the owner died a few years ago, going back 20 plus years it was stacked 50' high with tyres, reportedly over a million but I'd of thought a 100,000 was closer ?

He has showen me round the rear sheds on several occasions and there are still hundreds of military tyres in many sizes especially larger types like 12.00x20 but he is very expensive

He has showen me round the rear sheds on several occasions and there are still hundreds of military tyres in many sizes especially larger types like 12.00x20 but he is very expensive

Over 20 years ago 900x16 run flats were on offer at £200+Vat each, to be fair they were new with the molding nibs but in those days it was nearly double the going rate. I couldn't begin to think how many were in the shed but they were on racks floor to ceiling round all four walls and three isles in the middle, there was little interest in selling to the MV world as apparently JCB 4x4 operators were the main source of revenue.

Pete