303 Bren Mount.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Anyone got an idea as to what sort of mount is used on the Mk1 ferret with regards to the Bren. I have the mount that the Bren sit's in but need to know what the bracket/mount is that fixes to the front top of the ferret. I can not find any info on this part in any of the manuals. Even a diagram to get some idea to make one would be of help.

Mine has these fitted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107188[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107189[/ATTACH]

Chris

Hi Chris, Mine has the infill plate to the top as on the second picture but not the mount. Have you seen these for sale anywhere otherwise I think I may be able to get one made now I've seen a photo.

Cheers Steve.

Chris's mounting plates accept the GPMG Mount. Or the much LATER LMG mount which both have the same bottom

wide 'spigot' to drop into the mounting plate holes. as in the photo.

You see the hole much further back at the rear of the overhead Armour plate that everything sits on?

Well, there is one on either side. THAT is where the long thin 'spigot' of the original BREN mount fit's.

They also accept the MG Mount for the Browning .30" Cal MG. The one with the folding 'Arm'.

The Bren mount is VERY similar to the LMG version. But differs in that the spigot is thinner. & the empty case deflector

Shield on the LMG version. Is not fitted to the BREN version.

Hope this helps you somewhat?

Chris's mounting plates accept the GPMG Mount. Or the much LATER LMG mount which both have the same bottom

wide 'spigot' to drop into the mounting plate holes. as in the photo.

You see the hole much further back at the rear of the overhead Armour plate that everything sits on?

Well, there is one on either side. THAT is where the long thin 'spigot' of the original BREN mount fit's.

They also accept the MG Mount for the Browning .30" Cal MG. The one with the folding 'Arm'.

The Bren mount is VERY similar to the LMG version. But differs in that the spigot is thinner. & the empty case deflector

Shield on the LMG version. Is not fitted to the BREN version.

Hope this helps you somewhat?

Helps a lot, my mount has the large dia. bottom spigot. So although it's fitting my Bren nicely it's not the correct one for the Bren. Best I upload a picture. Make life easier. Cheers Steve.

That is the LMG Mount for the 7.62mm Weapon. The BREN mount is pretty much the same, but.

Without the empty case catcher box & the tin work case deflector shield underneath.

If you can imagine your yoke with the large diameter round short 'Spigot' at the bottom.

Then NOT having the large round section, but where is DIRECTLY welded to the yoke.

A smaller diameter approx. 2" long. And then on the end of that spigot, a longer length approx. 3" long.

THAT, would be the BREN mount.

The approx. "3 long section would be the diameter of the holes I mentioned earlier. on either side of the top armour plate.

IRRC I THINK that it was 1" Dia?

You will notice, there is also a hole at the rear (It MAY have a screwed plug in it. To prevent the ingress of water)

This is so the mount can be lifted out of the front armour. & dropped in the rear hole, to enable rearwards firing.

Hope this helps you?

Have had another look at your photo's, & a rethink.

A VERY easy modification without altering your mount at all. Could be effected like this:

Turn up a spigot to the diameter of the hole in the bottom of your yoke mount.

Make it a slightly tight drive fit, so it can be easily removed at a later time if required.

then, turn down the lower section for approx. 2" in length as a 'shoulder'.

Then below this for approx. 3" turn to suit the diameter of the holes in your top Armour.

IIRC it is approx. 1" dia. Overall length of your adaptor would be approx. 7.5" Long.

A three shouldered spigot basicaly!

The whole mount with then simply drop in the mounting hole on either side as required.

And you have not altered your mount at all!

Easy & solves your problem. Not accurate, but it would do the job you want it to. :angel:

If your plates are the same as the ones in Chris's pictures. Then they are the correct types. If Not, I need to some pic's of yours to ID.

Notice the rear plate in the shot supplied by Chris. Of another MK.I Ferret. Notice the Oval headed bolt at the rear of it?

THAT is the blanking bolt used to keep water out. When no mounting plate at all is fitted.

Mike.

Edited by ferretfixer

If your plates are the same as the ones in Chris's pictures. Then they are the correct types. If Not, I need to some pic's of yours to ID.

Notice the rear plate in the shot supplied by Chris. Of another MK.I Ferret. Notice the Oval headed bolt at the rear of it?

THAT is the blanking bolt used to keep water out. When no mounting plate at all is fitted.

Mike.

Hi Mike, just had a butchers at the 2 plates on my ferret and both front & rear match the ones in the photos. Many thanks Steve.

Hello Steve, Glad to have been able to help. :angel:

I myself, on differing topics. Have had assistance from other Forum Members in the past & recently.

I like to think We are all kindred spirits on here.

And shared CORRECT Knowledge, can only add to the pleasure (& safety in some cases!) Of Our chosen hobby! :cheesy:

I am Happy to contribute as do others. & I certainly enjoy reading some of the Posts / Articles on our Forum also. :)

Cheers Mike, it is amazing the amount of knowledge you guys have on the forum. I myself am new to the ferret with regards to the restoration of them. I have driven them many years ago when in the TA. just want to get in and drive it but I know if I am going to restore it properly its going to take time, something I don't have a lot of at the moment. The ferret I bought was from Vince aka 'Grasshopper' from the site. Great guy and full of help.

Hi Steve. And that is why this Forum is so good. There is a wealth of information available. & the Generous assistance & Help freely given by most members. Is one of the most valuable resources available!

No one can know everything, & with those who can contribute snippets here & there.

The Puzzle can often be solved fairly easily.......:-X

This forum is used by Members from all over the World. Can you imagine how Daunting it might seem. When you have a

Vehicle on the other side of the world. With no access to information at all, on it. It that particular country?

help passed on here, can make the difference between completing what might seem an impossible task.

And discovering that it was not as difficult as it first seemed.

Plus, you get the Enourmous bonus. Of making new friends!....:)

Hi Steve. And that is why this Forum is so good. There is a wealth of information available. & the Generous assistance & Help freely given by most members. Is one of the most valuable resources available!

No one can know everything, & with those who can contribute snippets here & there.

The Puzzle can often be solved fairly easily.......:-X

This forum is used by Members from all over the World. Can you imagine how Daunting it might seem. When you have a

Vehicle on the other side of the world. With no access to information at all, on it. It that particular country?

help passed on here, can make the difference between completing what might seem an impossible task.

And discovering that it was not as difficult as it first seemed.

Plus, you get the Enourmous bonus. Of making new friends!....:)

Well said ferretfixer, everything you mentioned is true. A year ago I new very little about the MK2/3 ferret I had recently purchased, this week I removed the motor and transmission with confidence thanks to information and friends from the internet. I never would have thought I would be into this as deeply as I am in such a short time.

CaptMax

Loving your restoration CaptMax. Can't seem to get started on mine, can't find the time. Have done a couple of things like the oil cooler, saw yours and thought I would give it a go. Come out pretty good. Will have to get some pic's on. But you seem to have all the gear for the resto. which must make it easier. Keep up the good work, gives me some inspiration.

Steve.