Ferret Painting Question

tankguy

Hello there,

Just a quick question... I am doing some detailing work on a Canadian Mk1 Ferret. I see that many Ferrets are painted red along the areas that the hatches contact the hull of the vehicle. How can I determine whether this would be a genuine feature to this vehicle? Is this proper for any Canadian mk1 Ferrets?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Edited by tankguy

my british desert colored mk 1 has red paintings

possibly done before shipping (or the intention to send) to the1st Gulf War with SCOTS DG

it seems to me that it was not the official painting

because the rear hatches don´t have

maybe it has been a decoration .."bling-bling "...made ​​by the british crews only

i assume that canadians did not paint any ferrets frames

but..... maybe i´m wrong

pekka

I would never say never but it does seem to have been a somewhat British thing it seems.

Welcome to the world of Ferret ownership, and a Canadian one makes it one of 124.

Have you got a copy of Colin's book?

What is the CFR of yours? Do you have the hull number handy? What shape are the side hatches?

Any pictures?

Regards

Robin

my british desert colored mk 1 has red paintings...

maybe it has been a decoration .."bling-bling "...made ​​by the british crews only

pekka

Pekka, I doubt it's bling. Quite a few ferrets have it around the closing area of the hatches. I can't say whether it was official or not, or which Ferrets had it, but I think it's likely it's a warning not to leave your fingers in there...

I've seen little to no in service pics with anything other than wheel nuts painted red and after going through Clive's excellent documentation on post war British paint regulations for vehicles, the only things that were really authorized were duck egg blue engines, silver engine bay and interior and green/camo exterior.

Painting bits red seems to be more of a private owner thing, looking to make the vehicles more visually appealing, with things like tie down points, handles, hatch edges, etc. painted red, or another bright colour.

I can't, however, offer much advice about a Canadian vehicle.

Cheers,

Terry

if the army wanted to warn of ferret-fingers

the red color of the square should be also on the inside of the hatch ?

i painted my canadian ferret haches surround areas red...looks great ...but too fancy & bling

i´m going to repaint it deep bronze green

afterwards i also thought that the red square is too good target for a sniper

or APC mg in the twilight as Diane wrote

is fv 430 yellow due to darkness and urgency also?....looks not bling

pekka

Wow, thank-you all for your replies, you have been of much assistance to me! Robin, I am working on this Ferret at the Ontario Regiment Museums Ferret Club. This is the UN ferret, 54-82504. This Ferret has seen some extensive maintenance work recently, as the club plans to get troop of Ferrets running again. Thanks again everyone!

Artwork pieces red looks like it's much more of the private manager matter, aiming to help to make the actual motor vehicles much more aesthetically attractive, along with such things as wrap lower factors, deals with, hatch tips, and so on. coated red, as well as yet another bright colour.

g.png