Tank lovers, watch this - Youtube...amazing!

Jack

Wonderful footage of early tanks - I would not, I repeat, I would not want to be in the that tank around the 1:18 seconds into the video - are tanks supposed to do that :dunno: :schocked:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7q_QOgew1uI

Not recommended, but what goes up.... I can testify from experience of riding in CVRT's at speed, that when they take off, it is not comfortable when they come down again!! It's not so bad if you are the driver though. Fancy a ride now Jack? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wonderful footage of early tanks - I would not, I repeat, I would not want to be in the that tank around the 1:18 seconds into the video - are tanks supposed to do that :dunno: :schocked:

In a word, no.

The driver in question was lucky to get away with that manoeuvre. Consider that a tank's idler and sprocket are in no way suspended. The former has a certain leeway which allows it to be moved to tension the tracks; the latter is on the end of the final drives. They are therefore both sensitive to sharp shocks and must be treated with respect. Failure to do this may cause damage to the final drive or the idler.

As it happened, that driver was lucky the tank stayed horizontal and the nose didn't bite the road. He was lucky again that it bounced and cleared the bank on the other side. Either one might have damaged the sprocket (IIRC the sprocket was at the front of the vehicle in question, but I didn't take that much notice).

Watch how other vehicles in the clip push down walls rather than smack into them. Same reason. And there were several examples of tanks negotiating knife edges, where the nose of the vehicle rises up until the centre of mass reaches the balance point, then rolls over gently so that the sprocket or idler doesn't smack into the ground at the bottom. This manoeuvre exposes the underbelly to anti-tank fire, so it has to be done quickly, but it is imperative that the nose does not smack down. Smash the final drives and you'll be sat exposed to AT fire for a lot longer than if you roll over edge.

Poor skills IMCO.

AlienFTM - great feedback, still amazed at how armour can bounce like that.

Mark - totally agree, a great piece of music, has anyone a clue as what the title is???

I am think about using it as the theme tune of me getting out of bed in the morning :-D .......on the other hand, I would be better off with using the Clangers theme tune :whistle:

AlienFTM - great feedback, still amazed at how armour can bounce like that.

Mark - totally agree, a great piece of music, has anyone a clue as what the title is???

I am think about using it as the theme tune of me getting out of bed in the morning :-D .......on the other hand, I would be better off with using the Clangers theme tune :whistle:

Cheers, Jack. It just occurs to me that I knew there was something I wanted to post yesterday wrt CVR(T) having seen (IIRC) Sirhc's post. CVR(T) suspension is so soft that I doubt it would survive that sort of treatment. If it didn't snap one or more of the torsion bars, I'd expect it to bottom and still trash either the final drive via the sprocket or the idler.

• 2 years later...

Think i saw that one before it got took off. As for jumping a cvr"t" sabre I did a knife edge at battle speed and got both tracks off the hill . Both gunner and comander Braced for inpact. she landed a bit nose first and felt like she was going to fall over nose frist so lots of right foot brought the back end down and all was well. plus no damage done to sabre but a got a god back kicking off the comander with words that i wont repeat on here :shocked:. But hay it was well kool:cool2::-D:-D:-D

A couple of months back I watched a FV432 do some car crushing. He squshed the car first go but then had another go with a bit more welly. The whole vehicle came off the ground by a foot or so. It then landed and the driver impacted on the front armour, smashing out 10 of his teeth and crushing his jaw back into his head. He had to have over 100 stiches and his jaw wired up. There were teeth marks in the armour. This is a lesson to all that you have to be so careful when "playing" with your kit.