Owning a cvrt

Ronsandt

I'm in a deal to get a cvrt and was wondering what can everyone tell me about them, are they a pain the the butt are they reliable what to watch out for ,how long does track/ road wheels last , gas tank problems , running problems trans ect.

thanks in advance for all the knowledge that is about to be bestowed no me ! Ron in p.a. It's a sabre sorry forgot to say

I'm in a deal to get a cvrt and was wondering what can everyone tell me about them, are they a pain the the butt are they reliable what to watch out for ,how long does track/ road wheels last , gas tank problems , running problems trans ect.

thanks in advance for all the knowledge that is about to be bestowed no me ! Ron in p.a. It's a sabre sorry forgot to say

Hi Ron,

I have CVRTs as driving school vehicles for many years. They have proved to be reliable, but there are a couple of things you should be aware of; tracks-aged rubber will wear out way quicker-look for date stamps on track wing or wheel path.Likewise old road wheels will shed the rubber ring (not a problem on newer ones).Petrol are nicer to drive than the diesels.Driven sympathetically and with oil,filter, and track changes, I think one should last you a long time.

Terry

If the track pads are gone can they still be used off road. So as long as you take care of them maintain wise and not beat them driving you should be ok? No quirks with trans motors ect to worry about?

track will be fine with worn pads for off road use. Never had a problem with engines or gearboxes.

Are you buying the Sabre in the UK or in the US? Personally I've never had any trouble with engines or gearboxes either, but as you are a long way from readily available spares I would suggest having a spare one of each in stock is a good idea. If you are shipping a vehicle from a UK take the opportunity to fill the container with as many spare parts as you can afford.

They are easy to work on, the parts are fairly easy to find and not too heavy, and when running and driving well are fun to drive. The biggest problem seems to be fuel, since the tanks are so big and usually full of water/sand/other junk.

I do disagree with Terry though in that I actually prefer driving the diesels!

Chris

Dear Ron in Pennsylvania (Just below us in Canada on the map),

I know both Terry B and Sirhc, even though I am in Canada, I don't own any CVR(T)s (yet), but I (try to) look after a bunch, petrol (or Gas as you would say) and diesel.

I prefer the diesel, just loads more grunt without all the drama, I have a loathing for gasoline powered vehicles, it isnt the fuel it used to be, it lights up and burn way to easily. I'm still alive after a HP fuel line failure in a diesel boat that would have killed me if it was gasoline.

Maintenance is key and lack of it will show, quickly. They are not a toy to keep in the barn and just hop in and go for a spin without doing a first parade.

If you want to come up and look at some there are a number up here within a 3 hour driving radius from me.

If you want to chat by phone send me an email.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Regards

Robin

If you have a spare hour and put cvrt into the search box you will see lots of threads with advice on buying and owning what is probably the best route into tracked armour for a private owner (just my opinion!)...

Dear Ron in Pennsylvania (Just below us in Canada on the map),

I know both Terry B and Sirhc, even though I am in Canada, I don't own any CVR(T)s (yet), but I (try to) look after a bunch, petrol (or Gas as you would say) and diesel.

I prefer the diesel, just loads more grunt without all the drama, I have a loathing for gasoline powered vehicles, it isnt the fuel it used to be, it lights up and burn way to easily. I'm still alive after a HP fuel line failure in a diesel boat that would have killed me if it was gasoline.

Maintenance is key and lack of it will show, quickly. They are not a toy to keep in the barn and just hop in and go for a spin without doing a first parade.

If you want to come up and look at some there are a number up here within a 3 hour driving radius from me.

If you want to chat by phone send me an email.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Regards

Robin

Ditto on Robin and Tim's comments.

I have a Scorpion and live near Boston, MA, feel free to reach out, ask as many questions as you like.

Cheers,

Martin.

If you have a spare hour and put cvrt into the search box you will see lots of threads with advice on buying and owning what is probably the best route into tracked armour for a private owner (just my opinion!)...

Spare hour, more like a spare day to get a good sense of thing. :)