Mobile Laundry ;

nz2

There are a photos about of Sentinel steam waggons with sterilizing cylinders in the back for killing lice in clothes and other photographs of mobile laundry units.

My question is to the type of machinery used, in particular that from the Cherry Tree Machine Company Ltd of Blackburn. I have come across reference to this steam powered equipment manufacturer supplying equipment to a Hotel in NZ post WW1, but can find little information on the company or illustrations of the type of gear from the 1920's.

There are a photos about of Sentinel steam waggons with sterilizing cylinders in the back for killing lice in clothes and other photographs of mobile laundry units.

My question is to the type of machinery used, in particular that from the Cherry Tree Machine Company Ltd of Blackburn. I have come across reference to this steam powered equipment manufacturer supplying equipment to a Hotel in NZ post WW1, but can find little information on the company or illustrations of the type of gear from the 1920's.

Have you seen this? :

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Cherry_Tree_Machine_Co

The company is still operating in Blackburn.

Some where in the archive I'm sure there is a photo of a scene in a village of a truck with laundry gear in it and also outside. At the moment I can't find it.

I have looked at Graces Guide however the items shown are too early in time or too late.

I have tried contacting the company by email some weeks ago , to date no reply.

There appears however comments on some web searches that The Cherry Tree Company is no longer trading, if so that could account for my nil reply.

The items provided to the hotel in NZ , and being part of a chain of hotels probably many were supplied, were described as ironing machine bed and another as an ironing machine roller. To be included in boiler inspection records they would have to have steam reservoir or cylindrical cylinder as part of the structure. Otherwise inspections here in NZ focused on the boiler only, although receiving vessels ie air compressor tanks are tested (over a certain size)

Relating back to this Forum, it is possible such items were used during the war if only at major headquarters to address the needs of the Generals and associated staff requiring a no 1 dress code. I was hoping some one may know of examples of such plant in some museum or collection from which I could gain some photos of.

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...
Some where in the archive I'm sure there is a photo of a scene in a village of a truck with laundry gear in it and also outside.

Relating back to this Forum, it is possible such items were used during the war if only at major headquarters to address the needs of the Generals and associated staff requiring a no 1 dress code. I was hoping some one may know of examples of such plant in some museum or collection from which I could gain some photos of.

Doug.

I've only come across Thresh sterilisers on Foden chassis. They travelled to villages/towns etc and stayed a few days while all the clothing was sterilised and moved on to the next village when done. They were also used at hospitals. All clothing was sterilised as often as possible, irrespective of whether for officers or rank and file.