Tilly tyre choices

Hello all,

As i'm looking at getting my Morris to a rolling chassis, so i neecd to start thinking about tyres.

i like the look of AVon Traction Milage tyres, but the price makes me hesitate, and i wonder if there are issues with handling and vibration?

i intend this vehicle to be semi regularly (~monthly) capable of doing a 80km round trip, not just something that tootles around at a show then gets loaded onto a trailer. Are there other options with "town and country" style tyres out there, or is it best just to get standard 16 inch civi road tyres? the commonly seen wartime practice of grippy tyres on the back and road tyres on the front, looks like a good compromise but I do like the look of Tillys with "town and countrys" all round. I've been warned off using jeep style tyres as they have pretty poor grip on roads.

Adviced based on your experiences would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris Collins

The Avons are a good tyre, they certainly work well on a Land Rover. Our Tilly runs on a nobbly/road combo of whatever we could find, noise isn`t an issue with other rattles and it`s never gone fast enough to worry about handling. You may want to balance nobbly`s on the front axle.

These are the tyres I fitted to my Tilly in 1990 (Blimey! 25 years ago!!!) 600x16 COLWAY remoulds. As used on early Landrovers and such. Lots of long trips by motorway to Southsea and lots of other shows in the early years and a tour in France for the 50th.

I've geared up my diff so it will cruise all day at 50-55 (on the flat!) with no rumble or wander. I don't know if this style of T&C tyre is still available? I would hope so, as they look very much like the tyres fitted originally. Not many miles covered in the new century however as I tend to like my motorcycles these days. Ron

Tilly 09 002.jpg