Definition of camping

Grasshopper

My (delightful) girlfriend :hug: was talking to some of friends about Glastonbury festival the other night, and had addmitted that she had not, and would not go as she couldn't bare to "slum it". When they pointed out that she occasionally attends shows with me, and sleeps in a tent, she informed them that our camp has 9x9 tents, inflatable beds with duvets (or i take the double futon if its a long show), carpeted tent floors, sofas, a coffee table and rug, gazebo, barbeque, brazier and at Beltring a fully equipped 12x36 kitchen tent complete with chef (and fully stocked cocktail bar). They said "thats not camping".

I think that if you have the space to transport and put up this stuff, then why not. Its not camping, but sleeping in a tent through beer neccessity. :beer:

When we go to shows now, we seem to require at least three vehicles. One to carry all the camping gear (Ford F350), one to impressively display (Ward La France) and one to run around in (MUTT). I don't think we could (or would) downsize our camping setup, but the pickup truck is full up, so i think that is now the limiting factor for what we can carry.

When we go to shows now, we seem to require at least three vehicles. One to carry all the camping gear (Ford F350), one to impressively display (Ward La France) and one to run around in (MUTT). I don't think we could (or would) downsize our camping setup, but the pickup truck is full up, so i think that is now the limiting factor for what we can carry.

Yes, but having read Berni's message I now want a swimming pool too. Please can we have one Mr camp commandant, sorry, welfare orificer?

One thing that no one has mentioned yet on their list of essentials and without which I would not be happy is a water heater to supply endless hot water for showers etc We got ours from Beltring 3 years ago and it has been great - it is of great interest to many who stand and gaze, but, as soon as Jerry fires it up by lighting the steadily dripping petrol the onlookers without fail take a large step back :whistle:

My essentials for camping.....

a) 6 man Outwell tent ( the 5 man just wasn't big enough for the two of us! )

b) Fridge ( gotta keep the drinks cool )

c) Tent heater

d) Stereo for playing 1940's music

e) Digi SLR Camera

f) Laptop ( for downloading each days pics. My memory card only holds about 550 pics )

g) 12v to 240v mains inverter to power laptop and stereo

h) Four Seasons sleeping bags ( this is England after all! )

i) 5 Gallons of petrol to get the BBQ going!

j) King Size Airbed

Of course, we only take these things when we're roughing it.

Steve

oh enigma,

you have just bought a little tear to my eye.

i to had a renault van like yours untill it died a week ago friday & had to go to the scrapyard in the sky :died:, it was like an extension of my being.

why do we get so attached to them :-(

berni

Well Grass hopper was privvy to us roughing it at Horndean :whistle:, only 2 12x12's 4 9x9,s, Heater, two fridges and number 5 cook set... :dunno:

Come beltring we shall be using an 18 x 24, 6 12x12,s 8 9x9s, cookset number 5 Large gas fridge and oven, masses of 6 foot tables and benches, shower, heaters, full silver wear and table cloths for our mess meal, and this year for the first time our own Turdis shall be hired!!! We should have a field hospital and command post as well, if all goes to plan!!

oh enigma,

you have just bought a little tear to my eye.

i to had a renault van like yours untill it died a week ago friday & had to go to the scrapyard in the sky :died:, it was like an extension of my being.

why do we get so attached to them :-(

berni

They are good arent they.

Especially Miles per gallons! Or in my case KM to the liter, about 19-20 KM to the liter.

I use to do alot of touring on my bike. this means i had a 2 man tent and a small sleeping bag and a used a hexi & mess tins.

i now have a mussus that comes with me. this means we now take a 5 man tent 4 sleeping bags, 2 suit cases, matress, double camping stove, kettle,chairs, table, enough torchs to light up a runway, blankets, waterproofs, about 7 pairs of shoes and after all this we still have to sleep with the door open because she feels closterfobic........

i have to admit i prefer the simple life when i camping the back to basics feel.