Vibration when driving between 35-45 in MB.

Mike Sharpe

I have an issue of a strong, sometimes, violent vibration when I'm between 35-45 mph. If I then brake to a slow speed say 10mph my jeep comes out of it. Sometimes it shakes the jeep violently and then other times its no where near as bad. I have checked the drive shaft and front wheels to see if anything is lose. Any ideas. I appreciate any help on this. Thank You.

Lots of things, Mike. Has this Jeep been off the road for the winter? Tyres out of round? Front driveshafts / axle dry or faulty joint?

Otherwise, as Wally says, what changed? Where does the vibration come from? Through the seat, frame, steering? High frequency or low frequency? Have you hit something - a pothole?

Ok I'm NO expert so cannot give you the magic answer....BUT when we had a similar problem with our GMC, and after many hours of toil we found that adjusting the steering box sorted our problem. I must add that our wobble could be induced by simply running over the smallest pebble or going over a very small pothole. What ever it takes to sort it, its nice to post the cure to help others, good luck.

I occasionally get a violent shudder through the body at those speeds but feel nothing through the steering it only lasts a few seconds then stops. I have never been able to find the problem either.

Body related vibrations like the one you have described can some times be related to a bent prop shaft or one out of balance or worn splines or worn or failed UJ's or a combination of all of those........ in short it often turns out to be drive line related.

Pete

I have an issue of a strong, sometimes, violent vibration when I'm between 35-45 mph. If I then brake to a slow speed say 10mph my jeep comes out of it. Sometimes it shakes the jeep violently and then other times its no where near as bad. I have checked the drive shaft and front wheels to see if anything is lose. Any ideas. I appreciate any help on this. Thank You.

You say the jeep shakes,... to be clear,..... are you feeling it in the steering wheel ie, you are having to hang on for grim death to keep the vehicle on the road or is the body/frame/drive line vibrating and the steering is more or less unaffected?, there is an important distinction and it may help to identify your problem a little more closely.

Pete

Later Jeeps (I have a 97 ZJ) call it the 'death wobble'.

Bad suspension parts are the main culprit. Check the tie rods and the steering bell crank first. Then the pitman arm. Check the shocks to.

Alignment is easy.. 1/8th in toe in.

If it gets past those items and still happens you gotta dig deep... bearings (don't forget kingpins) and steering gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update we had a problem on our WC51 Dodge. Vibration at 36 MPH. Changed front tyres.....all sorted.

I must say that before buying the Dodge it had 5 new Omaha tyres fitted so we could not really justify more new tyres (we kept below that speed) but with an upcoming trip to Holland we needed something sorted. With the kind help of a forum member replacement tyres were sourced.

Any luck with your jeep.?

I had massive wheel shimmy with my Chev C60S No.6 Artillary tractor and found that the caster for the front axle was out to billy-o. The front springs had sagged and I was able to reset the caster with wedges on top of the springs under the axle. I think I had to make the wedges about 9degrees and fit them from the rear. Made all the difference.

White Scout Cars are well known for wheel shimmy as you describe and I found that I had to go through the whole front end and fit new old stock wheels and new tyres as well to cure it.

Good luck.

Rick.