Chieftain mk10 work to be done

paulob1

Well we have started its going to be a long sloiw process to get the old girl looking good. we are not going to get her running completely, the turret I suspect will remain dead for some time...

so far, we have just looked at the following

getting everything moving hatches, gun lock, catches, manual controls.

we have broken the mechanism on the commanders GPMG mount no idea where we will get one of those from but search is on...

items I need are the rear track cover, drivers side, new bins still missing the front ones have the rear ones agreed...trying to remove the old ones without destroying them, near side repairable i think, off side too far gone...also need new skirt tops, they are very thin and in a bad way...

the cabin is a mess but we will get to that last I suspect...just stopping it filling with rain is a good start...

going to erect a big marque and get it to be able to drive in...this will keep the old girl dry and allow us to do more work on her...greasing things and changing grease nipples is going to be a big task...

I will try to post pictures if i remember to take them...

I bought an old marquee a few years ago, its big and tall enough with a few mods so we will put that up and then put the tank in there, we have sides and loads of covers to keep it dry..site is pretty windy so we will make sure it is heavily tied down...

when we get the museum proper I plan to cover most of the vehicles with marquees....until I can get planning permissions for enough buildings..going to be a long hard slog getting to the museum though...

I bought an old marquee a few years ago, its big and tall enough with a few mods so we will put that up and then put the tank in there, we have sides and loads of covers to keep it dry..site is pretty windy so we will make sure it is heavily tied down...

when we get the museum proper I plan to cover most of the vehicles with marquees....until I can get planning permissions for enough buildings..going to be a long hard slog getting to the museum though...

You'll get there, keep up the good work.

now moved to its restoration position, we will strip and store repair recover and repaint the parts here and put them back on...she should be a nice looking mostly working tank by the time we are done...not sure about the turret but we will see how that goes...

• 2 weeks later...

Son got more bits working today, interior lights more wipers, need some periscopes...still got to get the turret control gear installed, got to collect it from Baz...and some other bits...

still got to find the front bins...no responses on these yet...

I can really appreciate the work you are putting into restoring your Chieftain. I am ahead of you by about 8 months in restoring my Mk 10 in Oregon, USA.

Lets stay in touch and share information.

I will post if I can figure out how to some photo of my project..

I really would like to find some specific parts.. As you can imagine it is even harder being in the USA to get and find parts...

I would love to get the main gun control box and some extra track links my tracks is very shot...

looking forward to staying in touch

thanks

Rickimage (3).jpg

IMG_0902AA.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

P1030979.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

I can really appreciate the work you are putting into restoring your Chieftain. I am ahead of you by about 8 months in restoring my Mk 10 in Oregon, USA.

Lets stay in touch and share information.

I will post if I can figure out how to some photo of my project..

I really would like to find some specific parts.. As you can imagine it is even harder being in the USA to get and find parts...

I would love to get the main gun control box and some extra track links my tracks is very shot...

looking forward to staying in touch

thanks

Rick[ATTACH=CONFIG]102513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102514[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102519[/ATTACH]

Rick....I cannot see Mark in any pictures !

gue running, a bit rattly and smokey..hopefully nothing too bad in this...some of the turret items have started to work but we have most of it unplugged so we have a way to go working out cables to where etc...

oh joy, Brad wants to get the old girl under permanent cover, but no easy yet...

Am afraid if I show Mark's face someone would capture him , hold him hostage and I would never get him back over to the USA.. He knows his stuff !!!!

He's a good guy he was with us on Sunday while we were working on this.434.jpg

yes we have to get the fuel pump back in ours a fit the crane operational mechanism and she is all up and running again.

we have a lot of work to do on the chieftain and still just collecting parts for now...

still in dire need of the front offside storage bins, nearside recoverable, offsides gone completely..