Freightliner M916A1

Don't know if any of these have made their way into private hands in the UK/Eur yet, so here are a few of pics of mine that I got last year. It's a '94 as best as I can make out. Originally temporate camo - but since my LR 101 wrecker is green/black I decided to go sand box - well, I got to do something with that desert cam net I picked up at Beltring a few years ago!

Haven't had to do too much to it - a little cosmetic stuff here and there. I also stowed a pair of scotch anchors so that I can utilise the winch a little more.

...next step is finding the right trailer for it. (M870 's aren't coming out too often - and if so, not cheap!)

Front Right.jpg

Rear Right.jpg

20140704_122354.jpg

Hey Robin Yes, I did a quick 20' spray job (ie., don't get too close) with some of that Behr exterior stuff from Home Depot - got the right Govmnt colour code.

You know how the yanks love a parade... well I did this for last years "Good riddens day" - I was the 100th anniversary parade in our town, second oldest in the States and as it was approx 100 since the first World War so......

parade lineup.jpg

Not sure if the inverted Chevron was appropriate for USAF trucks, but it's easily removed if I get so advised...

I did find out that USAF's 819 Red Horse (airfield construction etc.) used these in the Gulf... Just so happened that they were also stationed just up the road from my home in the UK, at RAF Weathersfield '79 - '90.

Hummermark - yes, there is a guy in Vermont that has one on 14.00 supper singles and they really fill the wheel wells better, problem is, even with the stock 22.5's, the fifth wheel is still up there in the clouds - bigger tyres would make it worse!

ref: [Rapid Engineer Deployable, Heavy Operational Repair Squadron, Engineer (RED HORSE) squadrons provide the Air Force with a highly mobile civil engineering response force]

Edited by soupdragon

.....they look as though they need bigger tyres on them.

Here's a pic of Johns with bigger tyres. Little mod reqd on the lower wing/mud guard position and removal of tyre chain box for bigger spare. ... but it does look incredibly meaty with these tyres.

Johns with 14.00 20's.jpg

I think I am going to keep mine as near stock as I can to preserve military authenticity.

I know someone who did a similar thing with an M818 and put big Michelin X series boots on single rims.

End result the trailer gooseneck had to be cut and spliced and no is a matched pair as nothing else will fit.

Not my toys, not my problem

R

Now thats a truck with presence!

Paul,

It has more presence than needed because it can't move fast enough because fitting the non standard tyres has thrown the gearing all out of whack.

Sadly while it may look cool it really isn't. The cab design is from the age when Noah was truck driver and the dash has a big decal stating "hearing protection must be worn". The drivers seat is about as subtle as a bale of straw. It isn't a favourite in the fleet, and is starting to show that because we dont use it much at all, I think it needs to be sold.

R