Merlin Engine.

Jack

I work for a multinational IT megacorporation whose UK Software Laboratory is in the picturesque Hampshire countryside. We bought the site from Vickers in the late 50s.

Late in 1940, the Luftwaffe bombed Supermarine's Woolston and Itchen factories and manufacture of the Vickers / Supermarine Spitfire was quickly moved to Hursley Park on the outskirts of Winchester.

A handful of years ago, the auditorium in the Grade 1 listed Hursley House was ripped apart and re-infrastructured for the 21st Century. After ripping off the wooden cladding, the centuries-old coving was clearly visible but in a bad way. Plaster casts were taken and the broken bits filled in from the castings.

Of more interest though were signs on the wall describing the auditorium's wartime role of benchtesting the Merlins before they were fitted to airframes. Having lifted the floor, the smell of oil and aviation spirit was clearly discernable, even 60 years after the event. The auditorium is a magnificent balance of 16th Century (IIRC) architecture and 21st Century technology. Whenever the Americans come to visit, they struggle to get their heads around the fact that they are in a house that is older than their country.

When Vickers' test pilot died last year, they sent a lone Spitfire to fly past The House in his memory. I don't think they'd expected 3000 of us on the lawns to watch the event. The pilot went on to spend about 20 minutes flying past and there were 3000 pairs of damp eyes as he flew off.

Co-incidentally, the completed aircraft were immediately flown across Winchester to the RNAS HMS Kestrel at Worthy Down prior to delivery to squadrons. HMS Kestrel became RAPC Worthy Down, comprising Technical and Porfessional Training Wings, Depot, RAPC Computer Centre and Command Pay Office UKLF. RAPC Computer Centre was my last posting, whence I transferred to the Reserve in 1989.

In 1943, Lord Haw Haw proudly announced to the world that a U-boat had sunk HMS Kestrel. An astonishing achievement given that Worthy Down is some 15 miles inland.

Found this a while ago not a Merlin but a Meteor out of a Tank, like mine I've got in the garage :whistle: :whistle: :schocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKykC2cpU0

The above link is to youtube.

Just the sort of neighbour you want on a Sunday morning, I cant think of a better way to be woken up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R Cubed

Found this a while ago not a Merlin but a Meteor out of a Tank, like mine I've got in the garage :whistle: :whistle: :schocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKykC2cpU0

The above link is to youtube.

Just the sort of neighbour you want on a Sunday morning, I cant think of a better way to be woken up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R Cubed

WOW!!! I want a Meteor engine! That sounds great. :-D

Richard

If you can't afford to drive the Jimmy to Bolero, there's no way you can afford to run a 27 litre V12!!!!!

Steve

But Steve - you would get there quicker so you wouldn't burn so much fuel. :whistle:

That is awesome!

Would it fit into a Jimmy? Would get to the shows a lot quicker :whistle:

You would need to make the bonnet looooonger as the Meteor is about 7 feet in length, although probably not much different in weight to the GMC 270 engine as this is all cast iron and the Meteor is all alloy but still weighs 11 cwt :-o

width=512 height=384http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/R_Cubed/DSC02323.jpg[/img]

I have tish tucked away in the garage at home, I had this running a few years ago and at a fast-ish idle, ran it for 40 mins and used 5 Galls of petrol :shake: :shake: :shake:

But you know the sound it makes is so sweeeeeet. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

R Cubed

You would need to make the bonnet looooonger as the Meteor is about 7 feet in length, although probably not much different in weight to the GMC 270 engine as this is all cast iron and the Meteor is all alloy but still weighs 11 cwt :-o

width=512 height=384http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/R_Cubed/DSC02323.jpg[/img]

I have tish tucked away in the garage at home, I had this running a few years ago and at a fast-ish idle, ran it for 40 mins and used 5 Galls of petrol :shake: :shake: :shake:

But you know the sound it makes is so sweeeeeet. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

R Cubed

R

This may sound like a stupid question but..........why have you a Meteor engine in your garage? :schocked:

I just had to ask!

That's a Meteor III from a Cromwell or Comet, want to sell it? Just what I need for my Cromwell :tongue:

Adrian

..........Adrian I want it, I a want to put it in my Jimmy :deal:

Jack,

I'll fight you for it.....I choose my Sherman and challenge your Jimmy :evil:

That really is unfair.........anyway, according to the article in CMV you were selling it :whistle:

......I could of read that wrong though.

R

This may sound like a stupid question but..........why have you a Meteor engine in your garage? :schocked:

I just had to ask!

Hi Jack, well I don't know really, I sort of just saw it and bought it :dunno:

( hasn't every one got a strange bit of kit in there garage then ) but I do have it and want to get round to sorting it out, maybe to take to shows to run up :-D

This pic was taken yesterday at the Chipping Steam Fair, near Preston, Lancs. Two 27 litre Merlins and a 36.7 litre Griffon all run-up together :-D The sound was awesome, it shook your insides.........

This pic was taken yesterday at the Chipping Steam Fair, near Preston, Lancs. Two 27 litre Merlins and a 36.7 litre Griffon all run-up together :-D The sound was awesome, it shook your insides.........

Jeez :-o Knowing what hubbys sounds like 3 biggys running must be fantastic :yay: