need help identifying steering wheels - possible Austin Champ

TrueS2

Gentlemen,

while unearthing a load of landrover Seires 1 and 2 parts in southern Denmark yesterday, I came accross these steering wheels.

My assumption was "something british military" - and as I found the FV number I saved them from being stored and forgotten by the guy there. He did not know aynthing about any of the parts he had from his late father, so everything could be released and came to a good home now. As I am pretty much a Landrover man, I have no idea whatsoever where these steering wheels might have been used, nor am I able to trace this FV number down.

So, help in identyfying what I have would be highly appreciated.

20818220ti.jpg

20818206tm.jpg

20818207vo.jpg

Its been four pf them, one has a chip at one of the rim-spoke connection from storage.

They seem to be never used but surely "shop soiled" as you say, from long storage.

Many thanks in advance

best regards

TrueS2

I agree they look Champ.

Marked as FV15243 although the ISPL doesn't recognise that & gives it as FV15242. Maybe a typo or the ones you have are a later version?

anybody on here able to provide some dimensions for an Austin Champ wheel, so I could compare.

I will be down measuring mine in the afternoon.

Are thy of some "value" in the Champ world?

regards and many thanks

TrueS2

Boris they are the same spoke pattern as the series 1 and early 2 Landrovers. Apart from the wingnut and the quarter point indents in the rim you could mistake for landrover. Especially Mk8.

If they fit your steering rack on your toastie then it may be an affordable near original pattern wheel for a Rover Mk8 or older. Can the bolt and wingnut be removed / perhaps replaced with a standard nut and bolt?

Just an idea as the old original landrover steering wheels like this are getting rarer and expensive! :cool2:

WAYNE cannot answer if the Champ STEERING WHEEL will fit a Landrover but l can tell how to remove the clamp and wing

nut there is a circlip at the top of the thread of the clamp bolt to stop the wing nut coming off remove this unscrew the

wing nut and it all comes a part and l would think there is no reason why it cannot be replaced by a nut and bolt

• 5 months later...
Gentlemen,

while unearthing a load of landrover Seires 1 and 2 parts in southern Denmark yesterday, I came accross these steering wheels.

My assumption was "something british military" - and as I found the FV number I saved them from being stored and forgotten by the guy there. He did not know aynthing about any of the parts he had from his late father, so everything could be released and came to a good home now. As I am pretty much a Landrover man, I have no idea whatsoever where these steering wheels might have been used, nor am I able to trace this FV number down.

So, help in identyfying what I have would be highly appreciated.

20818220ti.jpg

20818206tm.jpg

20818207vo.jpg

Its been four pf them, one has a chip at one of the rim-spoke connection from storage.

They seem to be never used but surely "shop soiled" as you say, from long storage.

Many thanks in advance

best regards

TrueS2

Hi There,

I know it's a longshot, but do you still have any spare Champ steering wheels? I've just bought one - 69 BE 99 - and its been fitted with a very odd civvy replacement.

Cheers

Rob

I agree they look Champ.

Marked as FV15243 although the ISPL doesn't recognise that & gives it as FV15242. Maybe a typo or the ones you have are a later version?

Definitely Champ.

FV15242 is Wheel, steering, 17 inch complete, and comprises:

FV15243 Wheel (not provisioned separately)

FV15235 Bolt, clamping, steering wheel

FV15237 Ring, spring, steering wheel, outer

FV15227 Nut, wing, UNF, 3/8 in x 24 tpi

FV207085 Pin, locking, steering wheel

FV15242 was re-coded as NSN 2530-99-848-1924

They were plentiful once upon a time at Jackson's in Misson but hard to find new now. They have a habit of the plastic rim breaking as drivers swing on them when climbing in or out.

• 5 years later...