AEC Matador RAF Flatbed

Ian43

Hello All,

I would like to know more about this type of Matador shown in the photo.

Pat Ware's book 'Tugs of War' describes this as a 'Matador prototype with flat bed body, 1937/38. Steve Richards' description in his book 'Taking the rough with the smooth' is 'A post-war platform Matador. Until their acceptance by the RAF, vehicles carried their FVRDE registration, in this case RGX 309.'

My feeling is that the latter is more accurate but can anyone give any more details?

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

SCAN0036b.jpg

Afraid once again Pat Ware is Dreaming and Steve Richards has made an assumption RGX was one of the registration blocks used by Ministry vehicles on experimental and research establishments, RGX 309 was one of a pair which were purpose built for the Ministry of Supply to use on the test ranges at PENDINE in the early 1950s.

The statement saying" until acceptance by the RAF" is not accurate- Raf vehicles being subject to research test conditions would normally bear an RAF Reg or manufacturers trade plates; There were occassions when Ministry vehicles swapped their civillian plates for military or vice versa; such as when Establishments on re-organisations of government depts, moved from Ministry to direct military control or vice versa,

TED

Hi Ian, hope this finds you well in the sunny south; Yes & No the chassis cab are no different but, The flatbed is slightly higher and a lot shorter that the RAF ( both early & late pattern flatbeds ) ones, It has a spare wheel with handling derick behind the cab and much beefier towing attachments at the rear; An interesting subject for model makers; I am told it was finished in gloss deep bronze green gloss.

regards TED

RGX 309.jpg

RGX 309  pendine resize.jpg

Sean don't believe so, I have never unearthed anything to suggest changes to wheelbases. I think its an illusion created because the flatbed ends at the rear short of the rear crossmember, whereas on the gun tractor RAF GS and later RAF flatbeds they all overhung. Also the rear mudguard appears to be a slightly larger radius and is mounted higher as is the actual bed .

TED

WB comparison.jpg

Edited by ted angus

Yes, it may be that the reduced overhang and higher bed change the proportions as you say. I fancied it was a bit shorter from comparison with Mike's photo and what's in my head, but the different angle probably doesn't help either.

Nice looking truck, I like that short pugnacious look.

According to John Harrington RGX509 was chassis no 10761 and ended up as 52EP40 in 1965.

That is a classic example of movement from Ministry to military control as I mentioned in message 3 of this thread

Mike you stay away from the Christmas sherry for a few more days Its RGX 309 LOL Maybe I should take my own advice - I have that rereg info but didn't hook crook & look as our instructors used to say ! the twin was RGX 308 and became 52EP39 I will contact John and see if he has a build date for the chassis

Regards

TED