Wanted - Trend 600 series teleprinter documentation

g0ozs

Following a recent trip to Withams I have ended up with a Trend Printer 610 (or rather several) and would be interested in any documentation to avoid trial-and-error discovery of the serial communication settings. I think the 600 series shared the same basic printer and V.24 serial hardware so manuals for 610 printer or 619 keyboard/printer units will probably have what I need.

As an aside the Withams listing was wrong - they were described as model 615 but on peeling the "do not cover" label are confirmed as model 610.

I have attached some photos so you know what I'm talking about !

Regards

Iain

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

Richard

I have thought of that because I have been there and I actually know people who work there but they are an IT service company now (part of the Phoenix group - I think Trend Network Services exists only as a legal entity now) - I don't believe there is any link to the manufacturing heritage.

Regards

Iain

Richard

I have thought of that because I have been there and I actually know people who work there but they are an IT service company now (part of the Phoenix group - I think Trend Network Services exists only as a legal entity now) - I don't believe there is any link to the manufacturing heritage.

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain,

I just looked up NSN and saw that, it was worth a try.

Richard

I doubt Eagle House was even built when the printer was being made. What's left of the hardware business is Trend Communications Ltd which went to Telemetrix plc at the break-up or the original business rather than Phoenix and is now a subsidiary of Ideal Communications - they only do test equipment and I believe they represent the legacy of a different part of the original Trend business.

Regards

Iain

Clive

VMARS were successful in retrieving the Clansman and Clark/RACAL mast EMERs through the FOI route so it does work for obsolete equipment. The release was subject to a "research and private study" restriction which has been implemented by making it a membership only resource

I'm not sure if a private FOI request would be as successful so I will try everything else first

Regards

Iain

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for that - lots of history and operational data but not much about the printers !

Iain

You could try Geoff G4GNQ who may still have some info or maybe contacts that might help.

I suspect lots of the useful information will be gone now as the Telecom operation moved to Racal and then network rail and during such moves lots of history is discarded

ISTR they were fairly simple v-24 printers but lots of TTL which may be fun to debug today.

Clive

VMARS were successful in retrieving the Clansman and Clark/RACAL mast EMERs through the FOI route so it does work for obsolete equipment. The release was subject to a "research and private study" restriction which has been implemented by making it a membership only resource

I'm not sure if a private FOI request would be as successful so I will try everything else first

Regards

Iain

For reference, I extracted the entire set of AESPs for the FV430 family by an FoI request.

Andy