Unusual Air Ministry 2 Gallon Petrol Can, but what was it for?

cordenj

Picked this up today. Fairly standard AM 2 gallon can made in 1941, but the unusual (well to me anyway) is the special cap. As the photos show, it has been adapted to enable the can to be pressurised so that the contents are then ejected through the second pipe under pressure. I'm guessing this was attached to a rubber hose to fill something with fuel.

IMG_8903 (1024x768).jpg

Does anyone know more about this type of can?

Thanks

IMG_8895 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_8896 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_8897 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_8898 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_8899 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_8900 (1024x768).jpg

I have a can the same as this and in themselves are quite rare, but could this one have been adapted later for use with an outboard motor?

It would have had a pressure bulb in the rubber line.

Could be, but the pressure is provided by pumping through the valve

It looks like it may have been adapted to measure the fuel flow and pressure from an engine pump.

Maybe Tony, I really don't know but the soldered valve in the lid looks to be from an inner tube, so I'm still guessing the intention was to "charge" the can with air pressure for some reason

Hi John,

it may have been used for a petrol cooker, the can being AM might be a red herring as the cap may have been swapped. The US had a petrol cooker fuelled from a US type jerrican, could have been something like that.

Evening Richard,

Could be. While pressurised petrol stoves normally have their own reservoir perhaps this was for a larger stove?

The top conversion looks quite well designed and built, not something just cobbled together.

Could be a local mod. to spray anything and every thing. De-iceing fluid, insecticide, disinfectant or what ever. Lots of 'bodge' jobs carried out to fix a local problem.

BillyH

Yes, I think that is exactly right. A local fix for some problem that needed a means of spraying liquid.

I hadn't considered de-icer, but that would have worked well.