Canvas maintance - one for Jim Clark...

Jack

Hi Jim.

Thought you would be the man to ask.......

Can you guys give us any tips on looking after/maintaining our canvas on our MV's?

The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I water proofed my cab canvas as I have never done it before and have had it for a couple of years - the rain that we have had this week has tested its waterproof ness ( new word?) and it passed with flying colours.

That lead me on to think about the rest of the canvas that I got from you guys and would like to make sure that I keep it in 1st class condition...

Do you have any tips?

Cheers.

Jack.

I look forward to this answer, .........as well, Jack.

My canvas is 1943 dated,.............and VERY thin in places. (not to mention the holes :whistle:)

And YES, I HAVE spoken to the guys at Allied Forces............(need a bigger piggy bank :cry: :cry:)

Andy

Cheers for that, John.

trip to B&Q looming, i feel................. :roll:

I have just done our ordinary civy tent with the above mentioned stuff from B+Q £9.80 per Gall can, I have used it in the past as well, prviously had problems applying it, but this time got it sussed, use a parraffin gun as per Machine Mart, very low air pressure and high flow rate and give good soaking, our civy frame tent is 20x10x6 feet approx thin cotton material and had not been proofed for about 8 years and used 3 galls of above :schocked: but now wont leak, the more you can get to soak in the better.

With reference to preserving canvas the most important thing I have learnt is not to leave bird poo on it, this seems to be very nasty and on my good canvas rear body, on the top has created some holes you can now get your finger through, so get it scrubbed off as soon as you can.

R Cubed

Jack, why not put it under cover? That's probably best for your canvas and plastic sheets are very cheap!

Thats true, but for those of us who don't have a barn or their vehciles are out in direct sunlight etc etc..............

Right here we go, first of all if your canvas items are holed or thin there is nothing you can do but replace or possibly repair. Repairs can be carried out successfully providing the canvas around the hole or tear is strong enough to take the strain of the new canvas patch.

If your canvas has faded there are products on the market to recolour and also reproof the material, we have never used any of these products so I cannot comment on them.

Again with waterproofing not having used any products ourselves I cannot comment, only to say I have heard that Thompsons weatherseal is supposed to be good.

The canvas treatment made by Catomance is news to us but we are keen to get hold of some to try.

A word of warning DO NOT scub your canvas to remove marks as you will remove the colour aswell. Because the canvas is dyed and proofed after it is made the colour is only on the outer fibres not all the way through the thread.If possible sponge off with a mild soapy water, as stated already bird poo should be removed as soon as possible again soak off without too much rubbing.

If you are going to cover your vehicle with a plastic sheet try to space the sheet away from the canvas to let it breath otherwise mildew can form on damp areas.

The canvas we use is imported from the US of A and is of exellent quality, it comes from a supplier with history going back to the days of covered wagons as used by the early pioneers.

I know we all like our vehicles to look good ,but how many wartime pictures have you seen of vehicles with prestine canvas?

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions please contact us we are here to help. Jim.

I have a spare canvas for my Lightweight that has been sprayed with a pressure hose in parts, which shows up badly. So I suppose the only cure is to wash it all over with a pressure hose to get it uniform in colour!

But if it looks a bit faded after that could I dye it and if so what make of dye would I use?