GMC Spark plugs

R Cubed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

thats the basic difference in plugs is the heat range they work at and the reach into the chamber . In reading the chart again they do list from hotter to cooler plugs that depends on how the engine is run slower speed and lots of stop and go you would use a hotter plug to prevent fouling or pre-ignition for much long distance driving a cooler plug would be advisable for example the hottest champion is hot< j11 j8 j7 j6 > cold

The reason, I think is hotter plugs are better when pottering around as there is not so much heat build up in the cylinders and there is more chance of a bit of oil getting in there, where on a dual carridgeway the engine is under a constant load and high revs for some time so using hotter plugs can cause hot spots on the pistons and at worst case melt a hole in the piston :shake:

I could be wrong so please put me in my place..........

• 1 year later...

AC 44 was the plug installed at the factory. This plug is now obsolete, as AC only makes plugs in odd numbers now (ie 43, 45). The higher the number, the "hotter" the plug is. You can use a 43 in severe sevice (running on a highway all day). AC 44's do show up on ebay every so often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-AC-44-GREEN-RING-Spark-Plugs-50s-60s-Chevy-Corvette_W0QQitemZ260336269612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260336269612&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A25

this is a link to a current auction on ebay US.

John Gott

How have you got on with them Degsy ?

Well since I have changed the old plugs which have been in there since I have had the truck ( 11 years ) I have not noticed any difference with the new Champion ones ?

Does this mean the old ones are still fine ? :idea:

Or does it mean the new ones are just as (£$& as the old ones? :-D:-D

NGKN.O.S.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 years, Hmmm, surely your fuel consumption must have improved with the new ones. I thought I was supposed to be a tight Tyke but.......:???

To answer your question I find them excellent, good starting, crisp acceleration and economical cruising, when in convoy with other GMC's I always seem to have a bit in hand performance wise.:-D

Fuel !!!!

Not much difference most strange, I cant make it out. Its always pulled steadily but seems to get left behind on hills where other GMC just keep pulling away :???:???:???:???:???:???:???

I need to drive some other GMC to find out how my truck compares .....

Any offers :):)

A tune up !!!!!!!!

So what sort of things would you suggest ?

Fuel system / filters all clean not touched the carb but exhaust is not sooty and does need a little choke to start when cold.

Timing set and does not miss a beat air filter washed out and re oiled.

?????????????????