Chev C15A Rated Towing Capacity

GreyFergy101

G'day all,

Sorry have another question, with an eluding answer... :-|

Is there a rated towing capacity for a Chev C15A "Blitz truck"? I can't find specifications regarding it's towing capacity, maybe I am just blind! Its interesting that the FAT Chevs etc are obviously built on a C15/F15 chassis, however I would speculate that they may have a higher towing capacity rating, wouldn't know as I haven't got the towing specs though. Anyway, I thank members in advance for their help. Cheers!

Kind regards,

Josh M. :)

P.S: Sorry, just realised this is posted in the wrong area, can't remove. My apologies.

Edited by GreyFergy101

I can't ever remember seeing a figure for the trailed load capacity for any CMP for a C15A or F15A I would suggest 1 ton would be in the right ball park. The 12 cab C15A was used as a stop gap anti tank gun tractor in 1941/42 here in the UK.

Artillery tractors had the same basic frame however they had considerable modification by way of additional gusset plates added to the side rails and cross members.

Pete

G'day all,

Sorry have another question, with an eluding answer... :-|

Is there a rated towing capacity for a Chev C15A "Blitz truck"? I can't find specifications regarding it's towing capacity, maybe I am just blind! Its interesting that the FAT Chevs etc are obviously built on a C15/F15 chassis, however I would speculate that they may have a higher towing capacity rating, wouldn't know as I haven't got the towing specs though. Anyway, I thank members in advance for their help. Cheers!

Kind regards,

Josh M. :)

P.S: Sorry, just realised this is posted in the wrong area, can't remove. My apologies.

Hi Josh,

this info is from a War Office data book of 1944;

C15A

Max. recommended trailed weight in Tons

Normal roads 4 tons

Hilly roads 3 tons

Cross country 1 ton

for comparison the Chev CGT (quad gun tractor)

Normal roads 4 tons

Hilly roads 3 tons

Cross country 3 tons

regards, Richard

I can't ever remember seeing a figure for the trailed load capacity for any CMP for a C15A or F15A I would suggest 1 ton would be in the right ball park. The 12 cab C15A was used as a stop gap anti tank gun tractor in 1941/42 here in the UK.

Artillery tractors had the same basic frame however they had considerable modification by way of additional gusset plates added to the side rails and cross members.

Pete

G'day Pete, many thanks for your reply. I couldn't find any mentions of trailed load capacity either, and over here in Aus there seems to be one in every second paddock...

Hi Josh,

this info is from a War Office data book of 1944;

C15A

Max. recommended trailed weight in Tons

Normal roads 4 tons

Hilly roads 3 tons

Cross country 1 ton

for comparison the Chev CGT (quad gun tractor)

Normal roads 4 tons

Hilly roads 3 tons

Cross country 3 tons

regards, Richard

G'day Richard,

Many thanks for your reply. Just the info I have being wanting, I certainly wouldn't desire to be towing 4 ton up a hill in a CMP, certainly an interesting comparison between the CGT and C15A. Cheers!

Kind regards,

Josh M.

The gun tractors have much heavier running gear and a 2 speed transfer case too. I drove a C15A for the first time, yesterday. It wasn't too bad :)

Cheers,

Terry

A two speed transfer case would almost be a necessity in a gun tractor one would think. I'm keen to get behind the wheel of one, one of these days. My Grandfather had much to do with them in the 60's in New Guinea, mechanically mainly. His experiences have led to a dislike of the vehicle generally, under powered with loads on hills, poor off road performance (he found he got along better in his bedford with chains and dual rears with a load on the back) and with the larger military tyres, driving through any ruts etc is liable to break your arm. However they did the job they were built to do, probably don't rate too high on the "truck comfort list" though...:D

We have both a Ford Number 8 Gun Tractor and a Chev Number 9 Gun Tractor at the museum (the Chev is still being restored, but is almost complete - it can be driven, but has no gauges fitted, etc). If you make it to Adelaide and make a donation towards our operating costs, a drive can probably be arranged, although that would probably have to be confirmed with members of the committee.

Cheers,

Terry

We have both a Ford Number 8 Gun Tractor and a Chev Number 9 Gun Tractor at the museum (the Chev is still being restored, but is almost complete - it can be driven, but has no gauges fitted, etc). If you make it to Adelaide and make a donation towards our operating costs, a drive can probably be arranged, although that would probably have to be confirmed with members of the committee.

Cheers,

Terry

G'day Starfire,

You are most kind, I have been over to South Australia twice in the last year, so probably won't be over that way for some time now. I may purchase a C15A next year, at the moment it is but another idea I am "throwing around". Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Josh M.