Aerial base

Willyslancs

on a british jeep during ww2 , did they use the u,s mount with a british top?

I've been wanting to change my Ohio base for a WWII British base for a while but can't seem to find a genuine WWII British one . Asking the same question around the show's and seeing British ones fitted ,I was assured that the std Jeep mount was used .I'm going by what I have been told , whether this is 100% correct ? I'll go with it unless someone else knows different .

on a british jeep during ww2 , did they use the u,s mount with a british top?

All the photographs and line drawings in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 show Aerial Base No.10 being used with the WS19 and WS22 in Jeeps. (There's one exception of a WS19HP installed across the back of a Jeep instead of one side, and that uses a Canadian "Aerial Base C2" instead.) The mountings vary between a stalk with a plate on top, (similar to the later Land Rover mountings), a metal box (that sometimes also has the variometer mounted to it) on two (or 3) box section uprights (plus custom made folded steel brackets for things like halftracks).

I would be very surprised if the installation kit for the radio did not include the aerial mounting hardware. (Which is not to say that hybrids of Commonwealth radios with US aerial mounts did not exist, as there's bound to have been some "field expedient" installation performed.) :D

I've been wanting to change my Ohio base for a WWII British base for a while but can't seem to find a genuine WWII British one . Asking the same question around the show's and seeing British ones fitted ,I was assured that the std Jeep mount was used .I'm going by what I have been told , whether this is 100% correct ? I'll go with it unless someone else knows different .

didn't realise the british mounts were so sought after , had ours 30 years since our dingo days, will see if we have 2 ...

didn't realise the british mounts were so sought after , had ours 30 years since our dingo days, will see if we have 2 ...

The only ones I seem to come across are in the USA , but I don't fancy paying over £30 postage , that would be great if you have a spare you would like to sell .

Cheers

Dave