Rebuilding Flathead Ford V8 24 stud for Carrier. Help required !

Mark Pearson

Im in need of info regarding rebuilding one on my flathead V8's.

I recently purchased I partially restored Canadian Carrier V8 that has already been machined, Crank machined, new bearings, new rings, gaskets ect all in boxes. now in not exactly an engine guy, so if anyone could point me in the right direction on a helpful manual/book as I want to have this up and running by the end of the year :shocked: gearbox is already done.

Some of you may know my position with my 3 Carriers, but id like to have one running by January at least !

Thinking ill post a resto update on the Carrier ??

Unfortunately, im unable like so many many people, to register on the MLU site. This is one of the problems here. :mad: Why the hell cant genuine people get onto this site ??????????

I can however read the blog, but cant reply etc.......

Very annoying

And thanks for the info, I may have to buy the Ford rebuilding book.

Edited by Mark Pearson

Unfortunately, im unable like so many many people, to register on the MLU site. This is one of the problems here. :mad: Why the hell cant genuine people get onto this site ??????????

I can however read the blog, but cant reply etc.......

Very annoying

And thanks for the info, I may have to buy the Ford rebuilding book.

Yes,

I agree, MLU seems to be a private club for those already involved, but I suppose they like it that way, as new members can be so pesky, wanting info and such :-).

(to MLU folks....yes, thats a joke, ok)

So, we, and others just focus eleswhere to give and recive needed info.

anyway, to you question, see below for 24 stud FH rebuild info;

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_37-48engine-rebuilding/v8_overhaul-forwrd-contents.htm

hope this helps

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

• 2 weeks later...

If you've never rebuilt an engine before, I'd recommend getting someone who has to either do it for you or to teach you as you go. While it's not exactly a difficult process, it is quite involved and you really need to have a bit of experience and a few uncommon tools to get the most out of it.

Cheers,

Terry

Block and crank has been machined, just looking to having the block painted and ready for rebuilding. Just checking all parts are there. The sump does need repairing tho as has a few rust holes. Will post some pics :D

The block can be either a Bottle Green, that Ford painted their V8 engines new or the same colour of the vehicle, which is what the REME painted engines when they overhauled them in WW2.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just recently rebuilt one mark... You have my email address so drop me a line with your questions and I will do my best to help.

if you lived in the UK I would have happily rebuilt it for you. The colour of the engine varies depending on if it was a ford or a merc, usually mercy were a dark blue/grey. Some lads paint theirs in that REME eggshell which is still used today on CVRT packs.

Some footage of the very first time my carrier moved under its own steam.... Lots of brake checks down the driveway before making my turn !

Edited by RichardT10829