What's Sean got now?

Sean N

Question

I'm having a big clearout, and keep coming across mystery parts. Often I've either forgotten what they are or didn't know in the first place.

I thought it might be interesting to post some of them up here as an on-going quiz and see if anyone can identify them, rather along the lines of Clive's Mystery Objects (though probably much less mysterious) - the difference being that I won't be able to tell you if you're right or not!

Most are vehicle parts, so it'll probably be obvious what they are generally - a light, a speedometer, whatever - but perhaps not the details or what they're from. Given the sources they're probably mostly British, as well - I don't think that's giving too much away!

OK, first item, maybe obvious but I don't know what it's from and I find it interesting:

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Richard. I did think it might be that, but I'm a bit shaky on some of these WW2 details and didn't want to assume. I've got some other bits of these, mainly the tubes; I didn't know what they were at first then realised when I found this.

I have a stack of these glasses. They're plain glass, ground edges, a touch under 7" across x 4" high (so not quite a semi-circle) and 1/4" thick. I wondered if they might be a light lens, maybe for blackout lights because of the shape?

IMG_4249ms.jpg

Good thought Austin, but these are bigger than the Smith's D shape speedos and the glass is much thicker than any instrument glass I've seen - it's about the same thickness as normal window or headlight glass.

It may not be military or even vehicle at all, but it's likely given where they came from.

Thanks Richard. All I have to do now is find someone who has three of the few remaining Commer cab Fords and needs an auxiliary gearbox shift lever gaiter and a right hand window winder for all of them!

I have done a deal on two, due to arrive very soon! Very interested in NOS parts for them!

Cheers

Austin

Can anyone definitively identify a set of four Rover pistons, part number 246346?

They don't come up in Rover parts lists, perhaps because the part number is for the set and individual pistons might have a different part number?

I have seen these listed as for Rover 60 and Land Rover Series 1 2 litre engines but variously for 1952-1955, 1954 - 1955 and 1954 - 1959. I'd like to eliminate the confusion!

Thanks.

Edited by Sean N