Private purchase SAS type desert windproof

Edward53

I recently bought this smock for a very reasonable sum indeed. It's a ringer for the 80s-90s SAS windproof except for front and rear rank tabs and some very minor details of construction. The unwired hood has a strip of cloth, serving no apparent purpose, at rear where you might expect velcro to roll it up. The velcro cuffs are missing the small halves - can't say if they were taken off or never on. The buttons aren't very firmly attached, all of which to me speaks of rushed production. Black fixlock cord pull so presumably early on before they started making them in sand. Buttons are four-hole except slot-and-tape on rank tabs. The XL tab is the only labelling.

I don't think the smock has ever been used, as apart from being creased, it's NOS. Material feels like a polycotton mix. Anyone else have one of these or can suggest a date of manufacture? Great if it's GW1 but I like it lots whatever it is. Sorry for crap photos - top one is the best colour match.

DDPM WP zip.jpg

DDPM WP front.jpg

DDPM WP inside.jpg

DDPM WP label.jpg

DDPM WP rear.jpg

DDPM WP tab.jpg

DDPM WP button.jpg

Edited by Edward53
extra info

Very nice smock,and certainly unusual.I can,t throw any light onto it I am afraid.There were lots of versions of the sas smock around at that time,I have an og one identical in every way to an issue one but manufactured for private purchase.Being green I actually use it for hill walking as I think the design of these smocks is brilliant.PICT4314.jpg

Thanks Boots, and if you ever run across another of those green smocks in XL, please let me know as I also think the design is perfect for walking and was wondering why nobody makes a green one!! It must be ideal to keep off moderate rain while not overheating. Does yours have a maker name? I suppose I could buy a late dpm one, but I'd rather not wear dpm out and about.

I've posted this on another forum as well, but am still not a lot wiser. SASS has been suggested as the maker but nobody actually recognises it. I would have confidently said 1990-ish but for the slotted rank tab buttons.

I suppose I could buy a late dpm one, but I'd rather not wear dpm out and about.

My DPM SAS smock regularly gets worn if the weather justifies it - very comfortable and practical. The last outing was last month at the Cambridge Beer Festival as it was 'four seasons in one day' type weather. One of my companions (who'd done a brief stint at Sandhurst in his youth as part of the OTC) was slightly bugged by my having some smock buttons undone and kept reaching over to do them up. Apparently it was drummed into him that buttons should always be done up and presumably the sight of DPM triggered the reflex.:D

Thanks Boots, and if you ever run across another of those green smocks in XL, please let me know as I also think the design is perfect for walking and was wondering why nobody makes a green one!! It must be ideal to keep off moderate rain while not overheating. Does yours have a maker name? I suppose I could buy a late dpm one, but I'd rather not wear dpm out and about.

I've posted this on another forum as well, but am still not a lot wiser. SASS has been suggested as the maker but nobody actually recognises it. I would have confidently said 1990-ish but for the slotted rank tab buttons.

Theres no makers name in the label,but it came from Stringtown supplies a long time ago,they no longer do them now.I actually brought this off ebay some time ago.I have seen another in medium on e bay and it went for about £50.00.The smock is still very waterproof as it has the same material and treatment as the issue ones used to have,even down to the distinctive smell of newly issued dpm kit,even though its og.If I see another I,ll let you know.Sometimes sass smocks appear in og they were bespoke made and pretty good,but sadly he no longer trades.

My DPM SAS smock regularly gets worn if the weather justifies it - very comfortable and practical. The last outing was last month at the Cambridge Beer Festival as it was 'four seasons in one day' type weather. One of my companions (who'd done a brief stint at Sandhurst in his youth as part of the OTC) was slightly bugged by my having some smock buttons undone and kept reaching over to do them up. Apparently it was drummed into him that buttons should always be done up and presumably the sight of DPM triggered the reflex.:D

Must admit I still use a battered old 1968 pattern dpm smock for all sorts of activites,including on my small motorbike,( perhaps not the wisest choice for biking) but I ussually sling a high vis over it.Depending where I,m walking I also use an old dpm arctic windproof occasionally,I guess I just like it:-)

Theres no makers name in the label,but it came from Stringtown supplies a long time ago,they no longer do them now.I actually brought this off ebay some time ago.I have seen another in medium on e bay and it went for about £50.00.The smock is still very waterproof as it has the same material and treatment as the issue ones used to have,even down to the distinctive smell of newly issued dpm kit,even though its og.If I see another I,ll let you know.Sometimes sass smocks appear in og they were bespoke made and pretty good,but sadly he no longer trades.

Thanks Boots.