Advice on project.

martylee

Ok, I'll start with admitting that I'm technical disabled. But I know I have other skills to make up for the lack of that one, so that doesn't bother me... :-D

But recently I discovered a wreck in forrest that would be fun to restore. But before I buy it, I'd like to know if this is a hopeless case or something that is possible to make. I'll post some photos below and would like your opinion on the project. As far as I can tell there's rust, but mostly on the surface. The engine is lacking. Looks like it has been in a collision, but with a hammer and plenty of time I'd think you could get those plates straight again!?

And what one more question... What is this? It's a canada Ford, but what kind? Does anyone have a photo of it and could pm it to me?

width=640 height=853http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1425.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1432.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1434.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=853http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1435.jpg[/img]

I don't even know if it's hard to replace the missing parts. Any advice will be apriciated!

Marty

Hi Marty,

Sure looks like you've a project there,............... :whistle:

Have a look at http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/index.html

Might get some idea there.

hope it helps;

Andy

Just had another look at photo's,..and I'm reckoning, (possibly wrongly,) that the chassis has been shortened, certainly, I'm guessing that the metal arrangment at rear isn't standard,......been used as a timber tug, maybe's.........well, would certainly go along with where you found it.

It says Ford on the front panel so that's a pretty good clue :-)

As Mr Enfield says, Maple Leaf Up is where the CMP fanatics hang out. In fact I expect they probably already know about this one !

Definitely a shortened chassis and it looks as if it's been used as a donor vehicle already. With the best will in the world, I can't see this one forming the basis of a viable restoration. It might just provide a few parts for another project.

Thank you guys!

It is a Ford, since the panel says Ford Canada, no doubt there! As for the lenght of the vehicle it seems a bit short yes. Even too short for being a recovery vehicle which have been pretty common here in Norway.

Timber tug was mentioned, which it might very well have been used as.

My thoughts about the project have changed a bit since yesterday. When I run into one of these I get this feeling that anything is possible and so on. I've had the night since and reading your comments a feel a bit different, but will still do some more research on the subject.

First I'll find out if there's a owner. Then I'll try to find out a bit about the histry of the vehicle. If it has been used as a timber tug or recovery vehicle.

Will also post on CMP to hear their opinon, but as mentioned here it looks perhaps a donor vehicle.

Thanks again!

Marty

Marty,

For a first project its probably best to look for something which is pretty much on the road and just needs a few things doing. If you definitley want to dive in at the deep end look for something which is mostly complete. If you were to buy this truck I think you'd end up spending far more then if you bought a complete one. I also think you'd never finish it, you'd get fed up with it and bored with never getting anywhere.

Chris

Project is now officially scrapped! Tried my luck over at MLU and they could tell me that it is probably something heavier than a cwt 15. More likely a F60 or a FGT, because of the heavy front axle. A guy there also pointed out that the rear axle is bolted to the chassis.

What I will do is try to find out more about the vehicle, who's the owner and the history of the vehicle.

As for my first project I'll probably go for a Jeep... :whistle:

Thank you all!

Marty

Hi Marty,

:-) glad we've been able to help;..............thats whats great about this forum,.......like an extended family,.......ask away, and someones bound to either know, or at least point you in the right direction. :whistle:

All the best, mate.

Andy

Marty,

I think that you've made the right decision. Keep looking for those relics though !

The important thing is that thanks to your efforts, this particular vehicle is now known about. If someone, somewhere is looking for those parts then it may yet contribute to another restoration. Far better than that it should rust away in anonimity.

If you have no personal interest in the vehicle and the owner is prepared to sell then it might be a good idea to place contact details.