diesel CVRT power mods

terryb

Does anyone has any experience of the official power upgrade to the Cummins 6BT? I have done a few simple mods which have dramatically increased power. I thought the standard one was a bit gutless compared to a good J60.

Hi Chris,

I reset the fuelling plate and AFC star wheel but kept the standard injectors and turbo.

Examining the pump internals, It looks as though they had been set at a very low fuel setting.

The difference is pretty stunning!

Terry

I think the derating was done to prevent wear to the gearbox brake bands which was being experienced at the higher ratings. Presumably less of an issue for private owners due to lower mileage and less aggressive usage (ahem!)...

Can something similar be done with the Perkins in the Stormer?

The stormer uses the 'old school' perkins so should easily be overfuelled from the standard set up. I don't know, but they look as if they're running fairly 'rich' under load, so exhaust gas temperatures may be a problem?

Terry

The stormer uses the 'old school' perkins so should easily be overfuelled from the standard set up. I don't know, but they look as if they're running fairly 'rich' under load, so exhaust gas temperatures may be a problem?

Terry

Certainly plenty of fuel smoke on the 2 I look after, and they do go rather well, although track tension seems to be a problem on them both when manoeuvering in reverse.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone has any experience of the official power upgrade to the Cummins 6BT? I have done a few simple mods which have dramatically increased power. I thought the standard one was a bit gutless compared to a good J60.

If the power is increased significantly on the origional 6BT engine with a TN15D gearbox, you will need to fit a TN15E Gearbox , or a Suffield TN15E+ Gearbox, otherwise it might increase MTBF.