Spartan Petrol Fumes

Yet to start delving but there are no petrol leaks in the fuel tank, but the fumes in the vehicle are horrific and it has to be vented before I can work on it.

Has anyone any ideas where the source maybe? and where is the breather system. I've located the water drain around the filler cap and the filler seems quite airtight.

Diana

Yet to start delving but there are no petrol leaks in the fuel tank, but the fumes in the vehicle are horrific and it has to be vented before I can work on it.

Has anyone any ideas where the source maybe? and where is the breather system. I've located the water drain around the filler cap and the filler seems quite airtight.

Diana

What about the Bendix fuel pump under the drivers seat? There is a cap on the end to get to a filter, maybe not fitted tight or the seal leaking, ....... or pipes as has already been said.

What about the Bendix fuel pump under the drivers seat? There is a cap on the end to get to a filter, maybe not fitted tight or the seal leaking, ....... or pipes as has already been said.

All checked no leaks at pump or filter - I am beginning to suspect the seal around the commanders seat as the most obvious culprit for the fumes now that its been mentioned in the next post by Chris. - yet another nightmare!

Diana

Edited by Diana and Jackie

Or the fuel gauge sender seal? Hope you're not a smoker and dont work on it on your own!! Both of these are on the top of the tank arent they so if perished would allow fumes out without any visible leak...?

Or the fuel gauge sender seal? Hope you're not a smoker and dont work on it on your own!! Both of these are on the top of the tank arent they so if perished would allow fumes out without any visible leak...?

Not a smoker and plenty of new fire extinguishers to hand, also well vented.

Fuel pump filter and magnet were both filled with debris, main filter was Ok. Carburettor was also filled with many particles of either rust or sand (or maybe both)

I'll look forward to removing the commanders seat !

Diana

Thanks Vince - cant see any signs of a leak, the tank has some fuel in it, no sign of paint bubbling - maybe a pinhole as you suggest.

Lots of good ideas from the forum members thanks all. I shall report back if found.

Diana

I had the same issue which turned out to be a leaking fuel tank which was not readily apparent. I determined this by adding one Jerry can at a time over the course of a few days and noticed the floor paintwork had begun bubbling up.