The Sultan of Southend - an obituary

Snapper

News reaches us of the sad demise of the Sultan of Southend. Having risen to the throne only a day or so ago; the hapless monarch passed away this morning after fulfilling his mission in life, to wit; exposing a given truth that you cannot go to Normandy and come back a Duke. A Southend rozzer could only offer a little information: "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum." The body of the Sultan is lying in state in the back room of the Broadway Grill opposite the Grand Hotel in Leigh On Sea. Visitors are asked to quote their HMVF user names on the door. Kebabs optional.

News reaches us of the sad demise of the Sultan of Southend. Having risen to the throne only a day or so ago; the hapless monarch passed away this morning after fulfilling his mission in life, to wit; exposing a given truth that you cannot go to Normandy and come back a Duke. .

Never heard so much disinformation in all my life - I was indeed a Duke just for one day (sure that is in a David Bowie song) but I have hung up my crown through public out cry and pressure, it was good whilst it lasted and it was a shame I didn't get around to beheading one or two plebes.

.........that said, I am off to the USA in summer so I may come back as a President :whistle:

My Grandad was an ERA with Grey Funnel during WW1 and then started collecting rings with Blue Star. He was second engineer on the Arandora Star, the Canberra of it's time. He was KIA with Grey Funnel in 1941 aged 48. I am 48 this year. Time marches on. The funny thing is, my father-in-law who was a Marconi Wireless officer from 39-46 with the MN has little but contempt for ERAs. Where would any of them been without the stokers? Tough men in tough times.