My new toy: 1942 Bedford QLR

paul_bish

I have ventured into WW2 vehicles with my new toy, a 1942 Bedford QLR. Its going to be a long term project to get the whole vehicle, radio gear and other elements (penthouse tent, arials etc) as period correct as possible. This is a good vehicle to start with as it has most of this already and hasn't been "campered"

I am sure some of you will recognise it, it was owned by Andy Kyte for the last 18 months or so

I have collected yet but I must say I am very excited!!!

Bedford_QLR_5.jpg

Bedford_QLR_4.jpg

Bedford_QLR_3.jpg

Bedford_QLR_2.jpg

Bedford_QLR_1.jpg

Crikey I'd be leaping about too if I'd just bought here , she's gorgeous ! ..

and......she makes a change from all the Chevys and Dodges etc ! :)

no offence intended at all as I love just about all of the WW2 vehicles ('theirs' and 'ours' ! haha) but...

.... it is grand to see someone wanting a period British vehicle ! :)

Yes, I know her very well. I also have or can get her full history. PM if intrested. I would point out she is already set up exactaly as she would have been in service. (Actually Bob, drive that and you know why you own a Dodge!)

Hi Tony. I have the history I got from Andy but always good to get more if you have some. I am aware its set up as it was in the war but want to get some of the small things working again, window screens, penthouse tent and some of the furniture inside. Will PM you

Really nice truck, particularly as it looks like it has all the coms kit in place

No problems Tony as long as you only go to shows situated in east of England:-D

Pete

Both the QL and mine have both been a looot further than that! :-D

Really nice truck, particularly as it looks like it has all the coms kit in place

No problems Tony as long as you only go to shows situated in east of England:-D

Pete

Cheers Pete. The comms stuff is all there and was working as the previous owner (before Andy) had it working. It also has the auxiliary generator and the PTO generator still in place. Some of the woodwork inside needs work but all the kit is there

I like seeing special purpose trucks of any nation fully kitted out with the correct gear, it sounds as if your buy has everything in place do you have the aerials and penthouse as well?.

I do have to admit to a soft spot for QL's having driven and ridden in a GS version several thousands of miles in both this country and in France on tour. As a matter of interest we used to run the QL GS and GMC352 together and on the flat the GMC had the edge, however on long uphill climbs the QL would be pushing the GMC:cool2:.(Don't let Richard F hear me saying that). Your QLR will be a bit heavier and probably have more of a roll but will still be a joy on the open road.....always remember when you look in the rear view mirror and see the endless line of happy motorists behind you.........your in front and the road is clear :-D

regards

Pete

ve vj day 050.jpgSpecial mate? She's bl**dy unique!:-D All the Y Service equipment should have been dismantled or scrapped on Churchill's orders in 1945. The Old Girl was converted to an 'Office Body' did time with the Pay Corps and was sent on recruting tours. In 2005 we were in London when an old soldier came up spent some time going over the truck then told us he was the probably the last person to drive her in service on a Recruting run around England in 1972, litteraly John O' Groats to Lands End! He reckoned top speed was about 25 mph. :cool2:

238.jpg

141.jpg

Edited by Tony B

however on long uphill climbs the QL would be pushing the GMC:cool2:.(Don't let Richard F hear me saying that).

Mr. Ashby, I heard that!

I was following Keith O out of Arromanches with my QL, up the winding hill going eastwards. Keith had his Chev LAAT and was holding me back ...... !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89735[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]89736[/ATTACH]Special mate? She's bl**dy unique!:-D All the Y Service equipment should have been dismantled or scrapped on Churchill's orders in 1945. The Old Girl was converted to an 'Office Body' did time with the Pay Corps and was sent on recruting tours. In 2005 we were in London when an old soldier came up spent some time going over the truck then told us he was the probably the last person to drive her in service on a Recruting run around England in 1972, litteraly John O' Groats to Lands End! He reckoned top speed was about 25 mph. :cool2:

Cheers Tony, seems she really has been around. I don't think I will be setting any speed records!

I like seeing special purpose trucks of any nation fully kitted out with the correct gear, it sounds as if your buy has everything in place do you have the aerials and penthouse as well?.

I do have to admit to a soft spot for QL's having driven and ridden in a GS version several thousands of miles in both this country and in France on tour. As a matter of interest we used to run the QL GS and GMC352 together and on the flat the GMC had the edge, however on long uphill climbs the QL would be pushing the GMC:cool2:.(Don't let Richard F hear me saying that). Your QLR will be a bit heavier and probably have more of a roll but will still be a joy on the open road.....always remember when you look in the rear view mirror and see the endless line of happy motorists behind you.........your in front and the road is clear :-D

regards

Pete

Hi Pete. It does have the penthouse and some aerials, I think it maybe missing the penthouse sides and some aerial lengths though so some things to hunt down

Mr. Ashby, I heard that!

I was following Keith O out of Arromanches with my QL, up the winding hill going eastwards. Keith had his Chev LAAT and was holding me back ...... !!

Good morning Mr Farrent, thought that may provoke a response:D:D,

I too had an occasion on a hill where I nearly wore agent 'O's rear end as rad badge, he claimed he was selecting first and had to let the speed die right off, I could have sworn I saw his rear wheels moving backwards:wow:

The problem lies with C30 and C60 low ratio diffs. With Davids C30 11 cab we swapped them out for some C15A diffs it did help a little with the overall speed range but then CMP's are not built for either speed or comfort. The QL by comparison is I think a more modern design all be sharing some GM engine design features it benefits of course from full pressure fed mains and big ends.

Pete