advice on vehicle imported eu to uk

Morning all I need some quick advice. if I was to import a vehicle into the UK from an eu country what kind of import duties could I expect to pay and or any other costs that might occur.

I dont want this thread bogged down in legislation etc just a brief outline the rest I will no doubt encounter and have to figure out myself.

Many thanks

sharky

Edited by sharky
spelling

I can only offer advice on my experience, I purchased a second hand motorcycle from the Netherlands from a private individual that was already registered in The Netherlands so had a Dutch registration document and he gave me a receipt to prove I had paid for it.On arriving back in the UK customs did not want to know and after looking in the back of the van waved me through. They never mentioned the NOVA process which I found out about when I tried to register it.I filled in the nova paperwork on line which said I owed nothing and then registration was the same as normal. This was before it was transferred to Swansea. So apart from the purchase price and the transport costs this did not cost me anything else.

Hope this helps Simon

I can only offer advice on my experience, I purchased a second hand motorcycle from the Netherlands from a private individual that was already registered in The Netherlands so had a Dutch registration document and he gave me a receipt to prove I had paid for it.On arriving back in the UK customs did not want to know and after looking in the back of the van waved me through. They never mentioned the NOVA process which I found out about when I tried to register it.I filled in the nova paperwork on line which said I owed nothing and then registration was the same as normal. This was before it was transferred to Swansea. So apart from the purchase price and the transport costs this did not cost me anything else.

Hope this helps Simon

thanks for your reply Simon I have experienced the nova system which is very hit and miss at their end.the vehicle I am looking to bring in is a truck so would have to be either driven in or trailered in so might draw a bit more attention. just didnt want to buy a fairly cheap vehicle and end up paying same value in taxes again. having looked on the hmrc site the is mention of 0 to5% import duty so that isnt to bad.

Again my experience only - but if it any help, read on:

It seems quite easy to bring a vehicle in on a low loader for example. Othe two occasions I've done this, no inspection of vehicle or request to see paperwork was made at port / tunnel by Customs.

It seems that there are no duties to pay at the time you bring YOUR OWN vehicle into the country from elsewhere in Euroland, although technically they might become "due" at this point (can anyone enlighten us further on this?). From what I can gather HMR+C use DVLA to collect import duty by charging VAT at time of registration in lieu of duty. If when registering the vehicle in this country you can show you have paid VAT you should be ok. If you cannot then I think you will have to pay import duty at the current VAT rate before you can register it.

Edited by N.O.S.