What is this thing!?!? Autocar??

Hey all I just bought this old girl from the scrap yard, I couldn't see her get smushed. From the little research I've done the best I can come up with is that it's an autocar. Am I right? I'm really just curious to know what it is and what it's worth.

5B70DA2F-3667-46D8-96C4-023C6E726538_zps1mcfscya.jpg

B8171ADA-4D5F-430C-BE4C-3DB694DFEA7A_zpsbwu4ipkf.jpg

Is there any numbers or anything that I can get to figure out who the maker was for sure? I guess it doesn't matter it would have been made to the same specs no matter who built it. Yes the running gear is all there but it has been sitting in a farmers back forty for over forty years now. I figured someone somewhere would need the parts and I just can't let our steel soldiers die like that. The radiator must have been brass cause some jack wagon torched the grill to get it out at some point. Such a shame

Can anyone give me a history on the use of these tractors? Was it an America Only deal, where was their primary use and what years did they serve? I'm a young guy just thirsting for knowledge hahaha I want to learn more about this stuff so I know what in looking at when I see it

During WW2 they were used by the US Army mainly in Europe to haul trailers loaded with bulk supplies from the ports to supply depots behind the front lines. You may be able to find an ID (chassis no) stamped into the chassis, on many vehicles this was done near either of the front wheels but I'm not sure of the positioning on this type. Hopefully somebody on here will be able to confirm the position.

Fairplay to you for stepping up and buying her :) Can I ask what , (if any yet) , are your plans for her???

It's a well rare vehicle for sure and ....yes I know ..a gargantuan task but.......

just imagine how chuffed you'd be rolling her out in a few ( alright .....maybe a lot more than a 'few'! ) years time at a Military Vehicle show????

Hi,

What you have is a 5-ton tractor unit. It is only either an Autocar U7144T (more likely - 11,000 built) or a White 444T (2,700 built). The other manufacturers suggested in the posts above did not produce this model. If it's a White most of the castings will have White cast into them. In the absence of that it is an Autocar. The chassis number will confirm which it is: this will be stamped onto the data plate at the extreme right hand end of the dash. It is also stamped onto the chassis - on mine, which is a larger model, it is on the right hand rail on the top edge directly above the rear axle. I am not sure where it is on the smaller trucks.

As for value, these trucks are rare by virtue of their age but there are quite a few both in the US and Europe. Your truck is in much better condition than others which have been restored, in fact everything I can see that is missing from your truck is readily obtainable. If you only paid scrap money then you have done well.

As for their use, it was a standard tractor unit for mainly over-the-road haulage of flatbed, stake side and box trailers. They were built between 1941 and Aug. 1945 and were mainly used in Europe.

If a moderator were to change the title of the thread to something mentioning Autocars, you will get a lot more interest and more responses from other owners!

Regards - MG

Edited by TooTallMike

Yes, its a Autocar 7444T should have a Hercules 6 cyl 530 cu. in . Engine...rated at 130 bhp if you google "Redball Express " there are some great US Army films on the Redball. 1 minute 10 secs in you will see an Autocar in action..the Yanks called them semi-trailors.... They were brought in mid 1944 to increase tonnage and replace GMC 353,s 6x6 whenever possible on the supply routes.

Holy information!!!! Hahaha thanks for changing the title for me. I'll post more pics tonight, she's still at the scrap yard for now as I havnt had time to get her to a safer place yet, but I won't let her get smushed. As for my plans, she's for sale I don't have any intrest in restoring her only finding someone that does.

Holy information!!!! Hahaha thanks for changing the title for me. I'll post more pics tonight, she's still at the scrap yard for now as I havnt had time to get her to a safer place yet, but I won't let her get smushed. As for my plans, she's for sale I don't have any intrest in restoring her only finding someone that does.

I suggest you place an advert on the G503.com forum as there are a number of US-based Autocar owners on there who might be interested. Thank you for saving the truck.

Regards - Mike