Please please identify - Gen Set Trailer Mounted 40KW

Hi - I would be most grateful if someone could help identify this.

It's on a 2 wheel hydraulically braked trailer with a badge saying Rubery Owen.

The main control panel says Lucas Aerospace (So I presume its some form of aircraft ground support generator).

Its 3-phase and I think the diesel engine may be Perkins (but that's a guess).

Any one ??

gen1.jpg

Main control panel - plate says Lucas Aerospace

gen2.jpg

Connection panel (to link 2 or more generators?) on side

gen3.jpg

Is this a Perkins lump?

Thanks

Scoobie :-)

Edited by Scoobie

I remember these coming it to service. Not specifically for aircraft use, it was a general purpose genny used by the Army. Lucas Aerospace was a defence contractor. The engine is a Perkins, think it was a V8-540. I recollect one of these came in to Workshops with the injection pump "detached". By that I mean wrenched off ........... due to a con rod emerging between the cylinder banks!

Looks like a 16/24 Gen set used for powering large complexes such as Field Hospitals and large Head Quarters.

There were a couple of versions of these, they had a 3 pin service socket on one of the panels that was very useful for a kettle.

16:24.jpg

They were replaced by FEPS Field Electrical Power Source.

FEPS_RHS.jpg

FEPS was/is great, but you have to wire all the outputs up correctly, otherwise, the computer control will not allow it to deliver power, not good if you are in a hurry or you can't get a good earth.

Is yours mounted on a 1 3/4 tonne trailer?

Looks like a 16/24 Gen set used for powering large complexes such as Field Hospitals and large Head Quarters.

We had all three of the "new generation" of military generators come in to REME workshops for repairs, from a guess about late 80's on, possibly a bit before. The small one was made by Hunting Hi-Volt and powered by a Perkins D3-152 3 cyl engine, the next up was the 16/24Kw and I have a feeling it was powered by a Industrial Ford 6 cyl diesel, then the 40kw Lucas Aerospace set which was powered by the Perkins V8 diesel.

Thanks for the info, I have searched the Internet for 2 days and learned 100% more in a couple of hours from you guys - thanks!

A couple of questions -

How old is it likely to be?

Would this 40KW V8 model hold any particular significance for a collector or not?

I was considering using it to power my property in France (possibly cheaper than getting the electric connected) although I guess this is going to drink the diesel being a V8. Currently the electrical output has a fault and needs fixing, would I be able to get a service manual for the engine and alternator control gear?

Otherwise is the braked trailer likely to be worth anything and just scrap the generator set?

I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks - Scoobie :)

Thanks for the info, I have searched the Internet for 2 days and learned 100% more in a couple of hours from you guys - thanks!

A couple of questions -

How old is it likely to be?

Would this 40KW V8 model hold any particular significance for a collector or not?

I was considering using it to power my property in France (possibly cheaper than getting the electric connected) although I guess this is going to drink the diesel being a V8. Currently the electrical output has a fault and needs fixing, would I be able to get a service manual for the engine and alternator control gear?

Otherwise is the braked trailer likely to be worth anything and just scrap the generator set?

I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks - Scoobie :)

Hi Scoobie,

The age of this set ...... as I said previously, my recollection is that they came into service in the Eighties. Before that we had the old Meadows 27.5kva sets, plus the Morrison, Petbow and Air-Log 10kva, all trailer mounted sets.

The only technical manuals on the generator that I can remember are AESP, which are army technical publications.

The reference numbers of these manuals start with 6115-K-500 followed by a three figure number as follows;

201 Operating information

302 Technical Description

512 Failure diagnosis

522 Repair instructions

523 Repair instructions

etc. other instruction include parts catalogue, installation, maintenance, etc.

We used these extensively in the field with the support helicopter force when I was in the RAF. Used for powering up the main site to give lighting, power etc. I do remember they were not that reliable as I was always having to order circuit boards for them from back at Odiham. They are quite heavy as well and needed a DAF or Bedford to move them about.

• 6 years later...
On 1/25/2014 at 8:24 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Scoobie,

The age of this set ...... as I said previously, my recollection is that they came into service in the Eighties. Before that we had the old Meadows 27.5kva sets, plus the Morrison, Petbow and Air-Log 10kva, all trailer mounted sets.

The only technical manuals on the generator that I can remember are AESP, which are army technical publications.

The reference numbers of these manuals start with 6115-K-500 followed by a three figure number as follows;

201 Operating information

302 Technical Description

512 Failure diagnosis

522 Repair instructions

523 Repair instructions

etc. other instruction include parts catalogue, installation, maintenance, etc.

Hi is there anywhere I can get these manuals from? I have one of thes generators in my yard and cannot get it to automatically control the engine speed in accordance to load. 

Thanks 

Harry Hall

• 2 years later...

THE BIG TRAILER WITH RUBERY OWEN RUNNING GEAR WAS MANUFACTURED IN CORWEN BY IFOR WILLIAMS TRAILERS. I WORKED THERE AT THE TIME. THEY WERE THEN TAKEN TO WINSFORD CHESHIRE TO BE KITTED OUT WITH THE ENGINE AND GENSET. THEY LEFT US GALVANISED UNPAINTED. WE USED TO CALL THEM THE STEALTH TRAILER BECAUSE OF THE ANGULAR CONSTRUCTION.

• Like 1