Greetings all from an ex-aviator with an unhealthy interest in things 'Pongo'

TeeELL

Hello my name is Tony and I am a retired RAF 'fast jet' pilot and in my latter years a flying instructor on the Hawk. For some reason I have always had a fascination with Great War 'rhomboid' tanks but, more recently, vehicles of the desert war which includes the mighty Diamond T 980/981. I live in the Wiltshire town of Highworth and plan to build the RWY Sherman named after the town.

I don't own anything, I've not the money or, more importantly, the skill set. I have read, avidly and enviously, the rebuild of the Thorny J-type, the Cromwell and last night went right through the Diamond T photo gallery. So I am most definitely a 'wannabe' but also a 'nevershallbe'. I must content myself with building scale models and reading the efforts of you amazing people. I've never had time fly-by so quickly as when reading these stories of rebuilds, what dedication and creative skills!

Best I have ever done was take ex-military aircraft to various airshows around the country, so I've experienced my fair share of rivet counters and 'experts'.

I would love to be involved but I can offer nothing other than my time.

Well, I understand the 'never say never' sentiment but I have a 57ft narrow boat that absorbs all my spare cash. Now, sure if I had a windfall then I would 'take a look around' and see what's available. For now I shall stick to my pipe dreams and scale models and follow the various projects featured on here - especially those Great War lorries.

TeeELL