Bedford OXC

Bodger Baz

Hi All,

I'm after any information on Bedford Scammel OXC in particular the tanker variant with the extended cab back panel. I have one of these vehicles in need of restoration that i am planning to start this summer but i really dont know much about these Bedfords.

The vehicle is still in its 1950's military trim complete with unit markings and military number 83 YY 65.

Any help, info, picture etc will be great.

Baz

Hi, Baz, are you meaning the fire screen behind the cab, when you say 'extended cab back panel' ??

( In actual fact this so called screen was only a downward extension of cab rear quarters)

If you can find a copy, Bart Vanderveens book, Kaleidoscope of

Bedford and Vauxhall Military Vehicles. is well worth it. Some pics of tanker OX's in there.

Good luck, I've some info re Bedfords, so if I can help give me a shout.

Andy

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I will be looking for an OXC with tanker myself in a year or so (when I have finished my current project).

During wwII my farther tells the story of a OXC with tanker that crashed through his farmhouse, although only 8ish at the time he can recall the incident very well.

I have been unable to find any pictures or press information about the accident.

The tanker was on route from Kimbolton Airfield and the driver fell asleep.

Although a large part of the farmhouse was destroyed and the “driver was covered in blood” he was basically ok and walked away.

The OXC smashed completely through the lower story leaving my father’s bedroom supported by the cab.

If anyone has any pictures of an OXC at Kimbolton or can give me any further information I would be most grateful.

Will

I had one of these complete with 1750 gall tanker reg no 80yy75 1940. It had a large ceramic master switch on the engine cover opposite the starter cable. I owned it for about 15 years, it was in the film enigma. Last I heard of it Pete Gaine owned it. If I can be of any assistance with info let me know.

• 1 month later...