Names of fallen crew members painted on vehicles

WCMatt

Guys

Nor sure if this is the correct forum to ask this or even if this is in good taste. A very close friend of mine passed away suddenly last night.

I'm in the reassembly phase of my ferret's restoration. I know nation's AFV crews are well known to commemorate fallen crewmembers on the hulls of their vehicles. Is there a history of this practice in the British Army? I was thinking that I'd like to paint his name somewhere on my ferret when it's closer to being ready. Still pretty numb as I type this....

Matt

i am sorry for your loss, i hope you find peace with it soon.

as for names on vehicles, make it your personal touch, hand painted, with the good memories in your head whilst painting.

all has purpose in life, even departures of loved ones.

if you need a rant, or a talk.. i am just a PM away.

Arjan

Agreed,

I painted my friend's and Bosnia War comrades name on a vehicle that we were doing up. Oddly, it was his own regiment that had us doing the work on one of their historic vehicles, long after he was killed.

I'm very sorry for you loss. Tributes are quite personal, and only the person giving tribute, really, can decide whats best. Brian has been gone now for many years, but I keep fond memories close of our days in service.

To Brian, 2Lt. RCD (D) Sqd. , died shortly after returning from Roto 3 Bosnia, from injuries received, Cheers, my brother.

Nick, 10th TAG, RCAF

CWC Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Gents

First off, let me just say a giant Thank you to all who posted on this thread. Your words of encouragement & support were much apperciated. What I've desided to do is paint my friend's name in 1" letters followed by a cusifix on the flat plate below the right side view slit on the ferret's hull just above the large storage bin. ' think this will be a fitting tribute to a friend who was supposed to be the "second crewman" on board.

Matt