Washing Battledress

woa2

Mine goes in on a wool wash with the normal detergent, then hang it out to dry.

It's quite sturdy stuff really, and anyone that recommends a special softener or or other method of "making it less itchy" should be scoffed at for not being a real man!

......... and anyone that recommends a special softener or or other method of "making it less itchy" should be scoffed at for not being a real man!

hahah :cheesy:....so many not so fond memories of my ATC Uniform in the early '70s !...and the button on stiff cardboard shirt collars :)

one thing with that era uniforms I've always wondered.

..just what shape were men in those days ?..when I was issued my ATC uniform in about 1973 it had about a 26" waist ( skinny little fella I was ) with legs about 7' long and enough material in 'the rear' to fit a 20 stone blokes buttocks in them :) ....caused mother some clever hours of work on her sewing machine to make it fit I can tell you :)

It's quite sturdy stuff really, and anyone that recommends a special softener or or other method of "making it less itchy" should be scoffed at for not being a real man!

So you're the one constantly scratching your a** then?:D

Hmmm, then I'll settle for not being a real man...

I wear a seperate pair of pants under the BD trousers and a cotton shirt under the blouse.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i have the same question, but less time to prepare. I also have a SOF battledress blouse, pants and Dennison to wash tonight. Stuff only arrived today and got a 1940 weekend starting tomorrow.

NEED to wash the newness out of it, whats the consensus people??

Wash warm by hand, baby oil, flat dry?

Wool setting on machine and cool dry? Hang dry?

What about the Dennison??

I spoke to SOF today and they didnt know, more worried about shrinking than itching!

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Dont mention ther petrol method, missus isnt happy with the new smell in the house never mind anything else!!!

Just go outside with the weekend weather forcast. You'll be soacked , blown inside out and flat in the mud! :-D It'll age you and the kit.

Mate, im already aged....!!!! Trying to get my kit to catch up wiyh me!!!!:cool2:

It got hand washed, no detergent buy with softner (im delicate you know...!) and all hung to dry inside. If not done by morning its getting a 10 min blast on cool in the tumble dryer!!!

Edited by Hoseman

As one vetran said to me 'I can't see why you lot are so excited about kit looking old. If it got old and worn we used to Bu88er off to the stores and get new'. ;)

It was its first outing today and didnt want to look like the `newbie` of the bunch!!!

All worked out ok, local paper had me posing, few RAF re-enactors there and SAS LRDG (Good to talk to you Luke!) but I was only Para.

Good to meet like minded and the public, got the bug now!!