MTP Early type.

boots dms

I never really intended to obtain any mtp kit as my interest is mainly pre 90,s.However I recently obtained a nice early set of mtp lightweight jacket, trousers and windproof smock for a very reasonable price.These are the first pattern based on soldier 95 kit style,and have now been superceded by pcs improved style kit.( I wonder if they will become as rare as dpm 1960 pattern,if they do I don,t think I,ll benefit , as in the same time scale I will be about a hundred lol).Any way a nice addition to the collection with the potential to be a bit rare in time.The lightweight jacket and trousers are marked tropical,and the jacket although identical to s95 dpm lightweight jacket does not have a zip fitted only button front( I seem to recall prototype 95 jackets were designed like this).PICT5082.jpg

PICT5098.jpg

PICT5083.jpg

PICT5091.jpg

PICT5097.jpg

You know its funny that I've not been issued any MTP, old style or new and yet its available on the surplus market. Sounds about right for the MOD. I ended up in Iceland last year for 24 hours after 3 months in the Nevada desert and all I had (along with another 20 bods) was desert CS95. It was a touch cold!

You know its funny that I've not been issued any MTP, old style or new and yet its available on the surplus market. Sounds about right for the MOD. I ended up in Iceland last year for 24 hours after 3 months in the Nevada desert and all I had (along with another 20 bods) was desert CS95. It was a touch cold!

I have heard several serviceman mention this about mtp,and I agree it does seem odd that it is already freely available quite legitimately through surplus outlets,( all of these items I obtained through surplus high street and online shops).It was released I believe around July time officially as surplus.I wonder does anyone have any idea why this situation is so?.

I have heard several serviceman mention this about mtp,and I agree it does seem odd that it is already freely available quite legitimately through surplus outlets,( all of these items I obtained through surplus high street and online shops).It was released I believe around July time officially as surplus.I wonder does anyone have any idea why this situation is so?.

Having thought more about this , all of the examples I have are used condition,I don,t know what the policy is now,I remember in the 1970,s used kit was often reissued ,sometimes several times over ,especially dpm jackets,not so much trousers if I recall.And a couple of mates I knew back in the 80,s in the T.A used to be issued some really worn kit,clothing and 58 webbing.( and I mean worn).

Having thought more about this , all of the examples I have are used condition,I don,t know what the policy is now,I remember in the 1970,s used kit was often reissued ,sometimes several times over ,especially dpm jackets,not so much trousers if I recall.And a couple of mates I knew back in the 80,s in the T.A used to be issued some really worn kit,clothing and 58 webbing.( and I mean worn).

When I joined the TA in 1980 I was issued with second hand washed out 69 pattern DPM's. The jacket had bailer twine as the waist tie.

I have been told that a lot of the unissued MTP coming out now is kit which has been surplus to unit requirements and returned to central stores (Doddington?). Rather than try to put it back into the system especially with different patterns in circulation, it is sent straight to surplus.

I picked up a mint MTP CS95 windproof smock last year when it appeared on eBay with a reasonavle BIN. It had a strong eau de stores packet, so I'm fairly certain it had been issued but never used. There's an obvious analogy with DPM P60, so it may prove a good investment.

Hopefully,although if I,m still around then, I wonder if they ,ll let me keep the collection in the care home.lol.

When I joined the TA in 1980 I was issued with second hand washed out 69 pattern DPM's. The jacket had bailer twine as the waist tie.

I have been told that a lot of the unissued MTP coming out now is kit which has been surplus to unit requirements and returned to central stores (Doddington?). Rather than try to put it back into the system especially with different patterns in circulation, it is sent straight to surplus.

Sounds just like the kit The guys I knew had.I did,nt word my thread very well ,I was,nt TA myself but the two mates were whos kit I saw.

Policy for the MoD back as far as the 1990s at least was once kit was demanded from central stores, it was written-off against stock as "supplied" (with the demanding unit's budget debited) - it was a one-way transaction with anything incorrectly ordered or supplied generally unable to be back-loaded once supplied. Many units order gear but only ever issue a portion of it, and some gear that's issued to troops never gets used at all........gear returned to unit stores is generally accumulated, new and used, and sent en-mass to the current authorised disposals contractor, whether parceled up or collected...........

My unit once ordered around 60 much-needed shirts in the middle of summer......but they had misquoted the NSN on the order paperwork and a few weeks later 60 heavy duty jerseys arrived ! Central stores weren't interested in taking them back so we were advised to see if other units wanted 'em or just to dish 'em out as extras (handy item in the middle of August).........:-D

That was similar to what was happening over here a couple of years ago. The US Army went to it's new "ACU" uniform & before units would/could get their issue, it was showing up in surplus shops & on ebay. I'm actually kind of suprised to see so much DPM & the newer MTP stuff dumped on the market. When I was over in the UK back in the late 1980s I seem to recall that there was a demil clause for most uniform items that were surplused out by the MOD. Remember seeing all sorts of uniform bits with large slashes in them sewn up by the dealers trying to sell them.

Matt