Hi all!

61KF58

Hello, my name is David. Thank you for adding me to HMVF. I have a 1987 Land Rover Defender 90, formerly 61 KF 58. 217,000km on the clock, still going strong - needs some fresh paint, new seats and probably some fresh gearbox/transfer box fluids...

• 3 months later...
Clive, Sorry for the very late reply! She was indeed RAF, I have the Merlin report which say she was with RAF Force Protection Force HQ (so assuming RAF Honington) but that's all I know

Its just that I used to own 61 KF 70 Aircraft Armament Support, I think from RAF Conisby

• 2 weeks later...

Clive, small world! mine is a 90, hardtop with windows, the plate on the seat box mentions "aircraft armament support" but I wasn't quite sure what that would mean on an RAF base as a 90 seems a little short to carry missiles/droptanks etc ;) so I guess the weaponry was trailered behind?

There are pictures around of airfield Rovers that did tow trailers with missiles to fit. Or perhaps this was just to carry the chaps to fit the missiles given that there are windows for passenger benefit I assume.

The window on the near side of course was particularly useful at otherwise blind junctions. The greatest annoyance (apart from "nice Jeep" & "nice Sankey (from those who assume all trailers were made by Sankey) was "pity you fitted the side windows & destroyed the originality" - That was where the contract plate got a good airing :-D