1984 MJ all the gear, no idea

pinkops

Glad to be a member of hmvf. After plundering the forums for info for a while and now with the end in sight after 3 years dropping in and out on this conversion, looking forward to contact with other MJ/MK owners and getting more of a clue.

I've previously built out a 110 for expedition through the middle east culminating in getting stuck in egypt for months during the revolution (or the last one depending on how you look at it) decided on return to scale up for more comfort, security and gear space. An old circus MJ came up, RAF office box trailer remounted in place of the bed, so i bought her.

After 3 summers of grinding doors and windows out and getting a rough frame in I'm now heading to complete this year and get her up and running again. Sadly SORN for the last 2 years as soon as i get the new fuel tank and batteries in we'll find out what needs done....

Based in wiltshire and planning another go at cape town asap

• 8 months later...
Glad to be a member of hmvf. After plundering the forums for info for a while and now with the end in sight after 3 years dropping in and out on this conversion, looking forward to contact with other MJ/MK owners and getting more of a clue.

I've previously built out a 110 for expedition through the middle east culminating in getting stuck in egypt for months during the revolution (or the last one depending on how you look at it) decided on return to scale up for more comfort, security and gear space. An old circus MJ came up, RAF office box trailer remounted in place of the bed, so i bought her.

After 3 summers of grinding doors and windows out and getting a rough frame in I'm now heading to complete this year and get her up and running again. Sadly SORN for the last 2 years as soon as i get the new fuel tank and batteries in we'll find out what needs done....

Based in wiltshire and planning another go at cape town asap

i took my MK across west and central Africa last year.....perfect truck for the job, it may be slow....but it will get you there...and enven in remote non comonwelth french speaking countrys you could still eventuraly find bedford parts ( even if the mechanic has to go to the neighbouring country for the part)

just one idea for you...i dont know the exact law....but it may be wiser for you to get export plates ( xe plates) so that you dont need to mess around with getting a MOT, its worth looking into at least...maybe you can even keep your origanal plates if you are taking out for export, as you dont need a MOT for driving the truck out of the UK for export

enjoy africa....are you going east or west...if u go east you may get lucky and the new road could be open on the sudan/eygypt bourder....but dont hold your breath for that....but im not sure how you would get to eygpt in the first place unless the boats started to sail again