Some kind of clip incorporating a "spacer"?

Yes it is a clip but my interpretation of the four diagrams is that the main vertical element that curves back on itself is a part view of the thing that it is clipped to.

are they clips used on the in side of vehicles to hold interior trim

Good suggestion Wally I understand what you mean its not that but I expect you would have used quite a few of these in your time. In fact I'm sure most of us have encountered these at some time.

Well, it must be a clip for holding some part of a mechanism in place with a little "Handle" (being the bent-back bit) to hold on to, to extract it.

Yes well interpreted but it not so much for a part of a mechanism, really something rather mundane.

So there must be a series of adjacent holes that it can be pushed into - and you chose the one that you want to hold the object in the correct position. What size is it? That would help!
No holes, bear in mind that I think the main vertical bit is just a sectional view of a tiny part of the very much bigger thing the clip attaches to. The clip's dimensions are not given but the ones I have seem might be 1-2 cm long & probably no more than 1 cm wide.

are these the clips that you use to hold head and sidelight reflectors in place before sealed beam units
Wally a very good suggestion, I know the things you mean. They can be devils to fit sometimes especially when I realise I've got one the wrong way round. So it's very much that sort of thing for use on a circular edge.

are they cilps used to hold the tin lid on things like paint

Yes they are indeed Wally. Well done you must have opened a few tins of paint your time at Beverley.:-D

App3625a_zps75811383.jpg

These requirements accord with BS 1262 'Tins for paints and varnishes' published in Defence Specification DEF-1234. It may surprise some as this was an MoD publication from 1954, not 1964 when the MoD is often thought to have been formed :-D