Wooden 'WD'-marked folding chair?

earlymb

Hi all,

at Beltring I bought 2 of these wooden folding chairs. The only marking on them is a 'WD'-mark with barely visible the letters 'CMD' upside-down next to it. While I'm pretty sure this is a Queens Crown and the chairs are post-war, anyone knows a more precise date?

This example was unpainted and I have cleaned it with steelwool. What would the original finish be? Boiled linseed oil, varnish or something else?

DSCF2671.jpg

DSCF2673.jpg

Thanks! :)

I don't know if they got re-classified but I found what I thought was them in Regulations of Equipment of the Army 1942 in Section KA (Misc office Eqpt etc) as Chairs, folding, flat.

However there is no doubting them from the picture in a 1946 VAOS J1 (Camping eqpt) Chairs, G.S.

Dsc01653a_zps6c88c520.jpg

Although there were fewer slats on the 1946 one. Richard how many slats do yours have?

Thanks all for your contribution! My chairs both have 9 slats in the seat. I just finished cleaning the first one and gave it a coat of boiled linseedoil. I'll post pics after it had some time to dry. ;)

I think the number of slats may be more of a manufacturers' variation than a way to put a date on those chairs?

• 2 weeks later...

These are really great little comfy chairs, we have a load that live in the trucks for shows. Always get extras bums for a beer and a seat by the fire. Cant go wrong with them, they fold up so we can stack them under the beds. We picked ours up from the local sea cadets who had dumped them in a skip.

I picked these 2 from one of the larger dealers who had a few pallet loads, but most were firewood. It took me 10 mins of digging to find 2 without any broken (off) or otherwise missing parts. That being said, I'm really happy with them as I have been looking for a couple of correct wooden folding chairs for a while. Till now I used those green metal military folding chairs, but these are way better for my re-enactment displays anyway! ;)

Of course, later came the regret I didn't spent another 10 mins to find a few more decent ones... :-D